Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tethering to Android device

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
Browsing through the google play store a couple of days ago, I came across DSLR Dashboard. It looked promising, so I ordered a lead to adapt my Samsung Galaxy S3 to standard USB.

The lead came today, so I've been playing :-)

Instructions seem to be a bit lacking, unless you buy the kindle book,

So far, I've managed to select flash, ISO, shutter speed and aperture from my phone.

It has tools for exposure bracketing, timelapse, focus stacking, mirror up shutter delay, as well as ways to connect to a server.

Better buy the book!

Brazeal

Brazeal

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

I've been using this with my Asus Transformer Infinity 10" tablet on my D610 since Lightroom does not yet support tethering on it.  Everything is pretty straightforward on DSLR Dashboard (to me).  Everything works except for Live View, but that is not a bid deal to me.  It is really nice because I can check the exposure and composition on my hi res 10" screen instead of on the low res camera LCD.  Also, you can't beat free!

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

I have the Galaxy SIII but I've not seen that app, will deffo go check it out, however I have used Triggertrap for my iPad which is great. You can do all sorts of cool stuff with it like time lapses and set to shoot at certain times and intervals as well as the above, ISO settings, exposure etc, etc.

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Found it! But then realised I needed to get an OTG cable for my phone! However being a bit of a geek and an impatient one at that I decided to make my own using an old usb lead and my old charger lead! Works like a dream. :)

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
I'm having a bit of a problem with mine. It has stopped showing the RAW file after exposure. It did it before, but has now stopped. I can manually find them, but no automatic review.

The files seem to need fetching from the camera.

I've fiddled with settings, but can't get it to work. May do a reinstall tonight.

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Ye that sounds like a software issue Morticiaskeeper , a reinstall should sort that out! Fingers crossed. :) what device are you tethering to?

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
Galaxy S3 to D80

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Ok, I have SIII tethered to D7000 and my live view is very glitchy too, sometimes works sometimes doesn't! So it may be a compatability issue with the SIII but I doubt it as you said it working before? I would just try a new install and hopefully that will work ok. Is the phone rooted?

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
No the phone isn't rooted.

I've just had a play around again. If I set the D80, on the camera, to RAW + JPEG, it will show the JPEG after the exposure. The settings menu gives the option to show the RAW image, but doesn't seem too.

Would love to get my hands on the code & SDK and make my own custom app.

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Mmm.....maybe google for the code and SDK? If not there is a program to create apps so I would think that same program is backwards compatable enabling you to edit any code within the app? It may be written in Python code which is easy enough to work with.

With regards to the phone issues it may be that the raw images are too much for the phones processor and memory to handle or the usb cannot cope with that much data.