Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NX Studio popup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

rattusivan

rattusivan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

I recently updated to NX studio ver. 1.4.1 and now get a popup in my workflow asking "Choose the conversion format opened in Adobe Photoshop 2023" - the work flow is as follows

1) basic adjustments to NEF files in NX studio

2) convert files to 16 bit Tiff files

3) right click on Tiff file to "open With" Adobe Photoshop

at this point I get the popup - its not happened in previous versions and just adds an extra step, it's not a major problem but if working on multiple files adds to the workload and a little annoying - any suggestions or workaround

apologies if this post duplicates a post I tried to make when joining forum but not seen that post as pending

Attached Thumbnails

• File save Screenshot 2023-08-18 110437.jpg

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

From the popup, it looks like NX Studio is just giving you more options... which is rarely a bad thing. For example, I'm sure that 16bit TIFF's are considerably larger than 8bit TIFF's.

I don't use NX Studio that much and don't currently have it installed on my Mac, but there might be a toggle in preferences to choose your preferred default. If not, I would just use it as is and be glad I have a few options to choose from when opening NX Studio files in Photoshop.

--Ron

rattusivan

rattusivan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Ron

thanks for the reply - the files are already 16 bit Tiff files converted from 14 bit NEF files - I'd already gone through options and not found anything to adjust this behaviour - I've contacted Nikon support to se if they have a workaround for this behaviour, if they do give a solution I'll post it - the behaviour is not deal breaking for using NX studio however it is annoying when an unnecessary step is introduced every time you edit a file - with my workload that can sometimes be over a hundred times a day - a further problem with this is that if I'm right clicking on the file to open and edit with Photoshop it creates a duplicate file in my C: drive "pictures" folder -  Nikon support have set this new behaviour "This is done to safeguard the file prior to any changes made to the 3rd party software, and can't be prevented. As a workaround, you can select option2 (Destination for Files Opened in Other Applications) to be sent to the recycle bin, making it easier to delete these files afterwards. We apologise for the inconvenience this has caused." - There is a setting to change the save location to another drive rather than "Pictures" however this is not much use if you work with multiple external drives - at present the new version of NX Studio is resulting in me continually have to reset options and delete duplicate files - all of which is increasing my daily workload - not a great update -I'm going to have to find an old version if Nikon support can't come up with a workaround

• Ron likes this

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

On a Mac, you can drag and drop the .tif from the filmstrip in NX Studio to PS in the Dock for further editing on the original file without duplicates. I don't know if it works the same on a Windows box.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,260 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I understand your frustration. I too hate it when an application is changed so that I have to learn a different methodology that's more complicated than what it used to be. Hopefully, your complaint to Nikon won't fall on dead ears. I agree... there should be a way to turn this off. Even Adobe usually gives the user an option checkbox in many dialogs to not see the options presented in the box again. 

Perhaps Peter's suggestion concerning drag and drop will be helpful... assuming it works on your version of Windows.

--Ron

rattusivan

rattusivan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

thanks Peter and Ron - drag and drop does appear to work without opening "conversion" popup and no dupes created in "Pictures" - should be interesting to see what Nikon support come up with, I'll post any workaround they suggest, I prefer the right click method but I guess I'll have to use drag and drop as my workflow norm for the present

• Ron likes this