Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Three primes

77 replies to this topic

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

3 primes?

24mm f1.4

50mm f1.4

135mm f2.0

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
Planning on getting an f/1.8 85mm or f/2.8 105mm pretty soon.

Probably the 85mm, due to cost.

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

That's a lot of reach.

Not really. Not if you are a birder or a wildlife person.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Bump, just to see if some of our newer members have something to add.

dps3006

dps3006

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Well I only have two lens currently for my FM. The standard f1.8 50mm and my most recent acquisition a Nikon 35-70mm f/3.5 AI-s in pristine condition. I am hoping to put a roll of film through it this weekend. I felt fortunate to get one in excellent condition for $100 delivered. I will be looking for a 28mm next.

Doug

From the city of good neighbors

Buffalo, NY

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I'm only using a crop sensor camera these days so I'll limit my responce to that field.

Since I sometimes love what a good wide angle lens will do for a photograph, one of them has to be wide. And since we're limiting our selection to primes only, I guess I'd have to go with a 20mm, However, since I've never used a Nikkor 20mm lens, I don't have a favorite.

35mm f/1.8. Not the DX lens but rather the FX version. I have no particular reason for choosing the FX lens except that I'm planning to jump to FX at some point. I know that the DX lens is pretty darn good. Especially for the money.

85mm f/1.8. This is an incredible lens. Sharp as a tack and lightweight. It's a pleasure to use. The only gripe I have with it are the diaphram blades. If Nikon had given this lens rounded diaphram blades it would be perfect.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Things have changed, and today my chosen three would be 24/1.8, 35/1.8 FX and 85/1.8G as I feel they are very nicely balanced in the sweet spot between speed and size.

The lack of aperture controls would dictate something very different to use with film as my analog bodies are FE2, F4 and F801s. I think I would go with a 24/2.8 Ai, a 35/2 O-Nikkor and either a 105/1.8 Ais or repair my 85/1.8 H•C. 

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Country Flag

I typically choose 3 primes everytime I go on an outing. Fitting 200 primes into a case is out of the question... So I pick 3 of them...

Of late, the 35/2 Nikkor-O factory Ai converted; Nikkor 50/1.4 Ai; Nikkor 85/1.8 "RIFR" Factory Ai converted.

(RIFR= rubber inset focus ring)

and last week for the Zoo, the 200/4 Ai lens also fitted into the case. This lens is compact and sharp, not heavy. Closer in size to a 135/2.8. $75 in EX+ out of Japan on Ebay.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
20/50/105 for me.

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

Since I only have 4 primes  for Nikon and only three of them will mount on anything other than my FM2 I would guess that i would pick my three from the three I could use on my cameras I use the most. They are  24/2.8 ,50/1.8, and 105/2.5.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Since my original comment I've bought a FX sensor camera. However, my primes mostly remain the same. I'm using the 35mm f/1.8G, the 50mm f/1.4G and the 85mm f/1.8G. On those occasions when I need it, I replace the 50mm with a 60mm f/2.8D. The new 20mm f.1.8G is on my short list but I'm wrestling with whether to get that or the 18-35 f/3.5-4.5G zoom. I'm also considering the micro Nikkor 105mm.

--Ron

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Things have changed, and today my chosen three would be 24/1.8, 35/1.8 FX and 85/1.8G as I feel they are very nicely balanced in the sweet spot between speed and size.

The lack of aperture controls would dictate something very different to use with film as my analog bodies are FE2, F4 and F801s. I think I would go with a 24/2.8 Ai, a 35/2 O-Nikkor and either a 105/1.8 Ais or repair my 85/1.8 H•C. 

Having had time to improve my photography (in my eyes at least) since the original posting of this one, I would go along with you Peter and take 24mm 1.8, 35mm 1.8 and my 85mm 1.8. My 85mm is my go to lens at the moment and is fixed to my 7100 most of the time unless i'm doing Landscapes but even then I'll leave it on for a different look. Think that could be a post on here...using non conventional Landscape lenese for shooting landscapes.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Funny you say that Rob as I used my 30-110 Nikon 1 lens (roughly 80-300) on my Nikon 1 V2 yesterday for some landscapes.  Haven't had a chance to look at the images yet, but I was trying to shoot some closer shots of horses and saw some interesting views that I had to try to shoot...decided to do it with the longer lens to see how they came out...they looked OK via on camera review...

Things have definitely changed for me since my first reply on this...I've since moved and have been shooting more landscapes and nature than I have sports (at least for now!).  I'm also working towards the purchase of my first prime which was on my first list - the 105 Micro, and that will stay the same.  I would also still go with a wide angle, but might want to go wider than the 24 I said last time...maybe a 14 f2.8 or a 20 f1.8...At the long end, with the wildlife here, I might stick with the 200 f2 if I could also have some Teleconverters or I might jump on the 400 f2.8 or even longer if I continue in that direction...

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Now, mine would probably be a 14mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, and a 105mm f2.8.  

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Since I only have 4 primes  for Nikon and only three of them will mount on anything other than my FM2 I would guess that i would pick my three from the three I could use on my cameras I use the most. They are  24/2.8 ,50/1.8, and 105/2.5.

That is a much better balanced set than mine, but I find that I don't use the 50 mm lenses I have nearly as much as the 35. For some reason I find it hard to previsualize 28, 50 and 135 mm focal lengths. I will have to do something about that. If I find a good 50/1.2Ais, I will probably solve that gap in my creative vision quite fast... I am doing the same type of exercise with the 85 instead of any of the 105-s in my non-portrait exercise.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Strangly, or perhaps not, when I shot film (with my Minoltas) my prime set was a 28mm, a 50mm and a 135mm. And, I used the 28 quite a bit more than the others. I naturally assumed that an even wider lens would be just the ticket. So I bought a 24mm lens and you know what... I still used the 28mm more. The 24 was (and is) a great lens but I ended up using it mostly with a bellows and reversing ring.

I guess the fact that I'm still longing for a lens even wider than the 24mm is proof that I'll never learn. LOL

--Ron

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

I have a 35mm2.4, 50/2, and a 135/2.8 primes for my other system. The 50 and 135 live on the shelf. Actually as body caps on a couple of bodies.That I am afraid where the is pretty much where the Nikkor 50 stays as well. The non portrait shot with a portrait lens has me using it more than I have in the last 6 months.

169248a

169248a

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Mine Prime Lens are Nikon 24F1.4 and 135mm DC F2.

esrandall

esrandall

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSumner, WA

I only have a pair of primes at this point (Tamron 90, and a 50mm 1.8G), but when I was shooting Pentax, I was pretty happy with a 21, 70, and 100.  That was crop of course, and I usually found myself wanting more at the wide end.  I'm pretty happy with my 24-120mm so far, but if I were to pick up that third prime, it most likely be a 20 (probably the Sigma 20mm f/1.4, from the sample shots I've seen).  I was a serious LBA guy during my short period with Pentax, and part of my migration to Nikon involved a vow to not be such a gear guy, and do more with less.  I feel like I've scored an exceptionally sharp copy of the 24-120mm f/4, but I know I'm happiest when shooting primes, so that 20mm will probably be the next purchase.  I'm having fun shooting with four lenses, and even though I miss the excitement of trying out something new every now and then, I can't help but smile at the results I'm seeing with what I have.  Part of the process, I suppose :)

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Speaking of the wide end... I would love to see Nikon revisit the extreme wide end of the focal length with a nice, fast, prime. Something around 15mm at F/2 or so. Rectilinear of course. I'm still debating whether to get the Nikon 20mm F/1.8 or the slightly wider 18-35mm F/3.5-4.5. In all likelihood the zoom would be welded to the wide end anyway so the only thing it has going for it is in being slightly wider and slightly cheaper than the prime.

--Ron