Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Exposure Bracketing for Solar Eclipse

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

rbmartiniv

rbmartiniv

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNacogdoches, TX

I have a Nikon D7500 with which I plan on photographing the upcoming total eclipse in Texas. I want to take an exposure bracketed sequence of 5 photos in 1 stop increments every 5 minutes for approximately 2 hours. I can't figure out how to do this without pressing the shutter button every 5 minutes.  I would like to only press it once and have it automatically take the 5 shot sequence every 5 minutes for the 2 hour period.  I have tried with (C3) Self-Timer, Interval timer shooting, and even a Viltrox intervalometer but I can't make the camera do as I want it to.  Will the "Control My Camera" software allow me do this?  Any other ideas?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The D7200 can do what you describe… I don’t have a D7500 to try it out.

1. Set the camera to aperture priority.
  2. Set the aperture you need.
  3. Set bracketing to 5F 1.0.
  4. Set the interval to 5 minutes.
  5. Set the number of intervals to 24 if you want it to run for 2 hours.
  6. Set the number of shots per interval to 5.

These settings should work, unless Nikon have screwed something up in how bracketing or intervalometer works in your, later, camera. I have used this type of combination of settings for bracketed timelapse series’ since the D300 days without problems. 

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,810 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

After reading the manuals for D7500, D7200 & D800, I concluded the this isn't possible with the D7500.

D7200 & D800 make reference to Hi speed & Lo speed continuous shooting modes.

I tried it on both, & one press of the shutter button gave me the number of shots specified within the bracket menu.

The D7500 manual makes no reference to Hi or Lo speed continuous shooting modes.

I also don't have a D7500 to try it out.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Be sure you have a solar filter on your lens... and adjust your exposures to compensate.

--Ron