Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fast/slow card as primary/backup

cards primary backup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Alphawolf78

Alphawolf78

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi.

I was wondering something that, honestly, I haven't test it yet. I couldn't find anything related to it on the internet, so I decided to ask this community.

Does anybody know if there is a difference wheter I use a faster card as a primary card and a slower one as a backup or the reverse, that is, the slower as primary and the faster as backup (on a "two-cards" camera)?

I'm curious about it.

Thanks.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Welcome to the forums.

I believe that the read/write speed of any dual card configuration is governed by the slowest card. So, if you use a fast card in slot one and a slow card as backup in slot two the camera will read and write at the speed of the slower card. But, I rarely use two cards so I could be in error. Perhaps one of the others who has more experience with this will jump in. 

--Ron

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I have a two card camera, 750, and use the same speed card in both slots for the sake of simplicity. Haven't tried a faster/slower combination.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It will slow down to the slower card's speed, unless you save in raw + jpeg with the smaller file going to the slower card.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

In any case, you want to get the fastest cards your camera
can handle so to empty the buffer as quickly as possible. :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cards primary, backup