Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will my D3200 DX lenses work with a D750?

lens compatability

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

CheerDad

CheerDad

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

I am just a novice photographer but want to move up to a better camera. I have a D3200 with Nikkor DX VR lenses. I also purchased a Tamron SP AF70-200MM F2.8 DI lens for shooting my kids cheer competitions. Will my current lenses work with the D750? Will there be any issues that I need to worry about. I can afford the camera but not the camera and all new lenses. 

Thanks

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag
Will my D3200 DX lenses work with a D750?

Sureā€¦ they share the same lens mount and contacts.

Will there be any issues that I need to worry about.

Only one: an atrocious vignetting because the DX lenses do
not have enough projection to cover the whole FX sensor.

The reverse situation is not a problem though.

CheerDad

CheerDad

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what vignetting is?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Optical vignetting is the darkening of the corners of an image compared to the centre.

A DX lens projects a smaller image circle than an FX one as it only needs to cover a smaller sensor. This makes the lenses smaller and less complex to manufacture, This smaller image circle means that the corners on FX are black or nearly so.

To eliminate the vignetting and sharpness falloff in the corners, the D750 has a DX mode. This will crop the image to a DX sized part of the sensor. This leaves only 10.7 megapixels to work with.

For cheer competitions, wouldn't a D500 be a better camera than the D750? It is, after all, made for shooting fast-paced sports. Can you get close enough that the 70-200 has enough reach? 200 mm on DX gives the same angle of view as 300 mm on FX or, the other way around, 200 mm on FX is equal to ~135 mm on DX.