Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Worth buying: Sigma 18-250 mm Macro?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

tutu10

tutu10

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi,I am using kit lens with D5200 since last 5 years, now I want to upgrade kit lens.Is Sigma 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Macro Lens worth upgrading?What about Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di-II VC PZD?I want a lens with quick focus and sharp images(Macro Lens preferred), so please suggest me some budget lenses.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I know of only one lens that was a dedicated macro zoom lens.

All other zooms have a limited closer range for practical reasons
but I would not base macro work with these tools.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Fast focus and sharp images are not the design targets when designing any superzoom except possibly the Canon L 35-350 and 28-300. Convenience and portability are what they are all about.

I would much rather split the range in two lenses to get less compromise in the design. A 16-80/2.8-4 in combination with a 70-200/4 are probably the best semi-affordable solution for portability, fast AF and crisp results on DX.

Macro on the third-party zooms only means that it focuses a bit closer than non-macro designated lenses. When used up close, they usually have a mushy rendering where lines that should be nice and contrasty just lack definition. A real macro lens OTOH, shows amazing detail and can come even closer.