Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D7200 battery draining very fast!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

^h^

^h^

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi everyone,

i just bought a used d7200 and have been using it for a few days. normally the camera should last fro around 1100 shots right? Well mine only lasts for 3 hours!! i know its not the battery thats the problem because i took it out for a while and put it back in and it was the same. has anyone had any similar problems? anyone know any fixes? Should i send it back?

ml_work

ml_work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlabama

I am new to this myself and have not gotten the advertised number of shots from my battery on the D5600. I purchased a second battery with the camera (Nikon brand) for swapping. What I am thinking is the test for number of shots is done without flash or Live View, one after the other. In real world that will not be the case. Also I consider the time I am clicking to learn with it in Live View most of that time. Both battery seem to go faster that I would have thought, but don't think I have 2 bad battery. Hopefully someone with more experience will have some knowledge to share.

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

If you're shooting in Live View, that will eat batteries and spit them out, my D5600 will last for several hundred shots using the view finder, but shooting in Live View I go thru about 2 batteries an outting.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What does the battery health monitor in the camera say?

If you use flash, LV, WiFi or chimp a lot, the battery won't last many shots.

I usually have image preview turned off, focus using the viewfinder and don't use the pop-up flash and get over 1400 shots on a charge

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Since you bought it used, try cleaning the terminals in the battery chamber and on the batteries.  Also clean the contacts on both the camera and the lens.  I feel that three hours of continuous shooting will deplete the batteries even if they are OEM and not aftermarket.  Another thought is that it would not hurt anything to clean the contacts on your charging unit.  I myself have experienced issues with charging units as they will show the battery to be fully charged, when it isn't and still have enough power to show a fully charged battery on the battery life indicator.  Hope this helps and if not, time to get the unit examined.

Rgds,

Tony

ml_work

ml_work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlabama

Peter,

when you say "focus using the viewfinder" do you mean, so that saves on the Live View, but are you Not using Auto Focus and doing it manual in the viewfinder .... ? 1400 shot is great ...

Thanks

Michael

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Mostly AF, but with the display off. I use manual focus quite a bit as well as some of my most used lenses are manual focus.