Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Water Mark Photos

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

ml_work

ml_work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlabama

I notice many photos on here have water mark showing the owner and some camera. Don't think I would ever be at the point to need to protect my pictures, but maybe it is a good idea before posting on the WWW. What program do you use to put the water mark on your pictures.

thanks

Michael

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

What software do you have for PP, sometimes it can be done within that.

Some examples using photoshop elements

https://www.youtube....k with elements

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

I made a brush in Photoshop Elements with copyright info. Easy to resize, change color and to set opacity.  Here is a link to how it's made:

https://www.essentia...mark-brush.html

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Don't think I would ever be at the point to need to protect my pictures…

A watermark will somehow identify a picture but will
never protect it… and certainly not on the web!

ml_work

ml_work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlabama

Mikew I don't know what "PP" are you talking about MS Power Point? .. I will check the link.

Bengan .. I don't have Photo Shop .. I have read Light Room is less expensive software .. would it do the same?

Nikon Shooter .. I understand what you are saying .. I just thought people had the water mark so if someone used the photo it would have the name or whatever embedded in the picture.

thanks for the replies

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

PP is an abbreviation for post production or post processing.

If you get the Adobe photography plan, both PS and LR are included but PSE isn't. All three can do watermarks, but automating your workflow is easier in the professional tools. One advantage of PSE over the pro versions is that you buy a license and then you use the software, PS and LR has a monthly fee instead.

A watermark is more a reminder for the law-abiding that the photo isn't available for free than any kind of protection unless you place it prominently in the frame, but that would then detract from the impact of the photo.

I use a simple text watermark that Photo Mechanic applies on export as a reduced-size jpeg for the web. The watermarks in PM are parametric, which means that it will include the year of the capture automatically, unlike the static watermark that the Adobe software uses.

ml_work

ml_work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlabama

Thanks, I would rather buy than pay monthly fees. I am looking at the PS 6 as it comes on cd and I can install it. I live in the country with no Fast internet access except for satellite and we only have 10Gb per month. So I don't do much live web access beyond a few you tube videos.

I figured the water mark would be just as you say, like a No Trespassing sign, just for the honest people like you said. Would want to be able to remove it if the picture was ever framed or sold (I have no intentions of sale of photos at this point)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Remember that the Adobe camera raw module in older versions of PS, LR and PSE don't support your D5600. You can get around this by converting your raw files to DNG using either Adobe's or a third-party DNG converter but it is a hassle.

The only current PP application that still comes on cd is Corel Paintshop Pro AFAIK. 

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

I use Adobe DNG converter as I still use CS5 in addition to Paintshop Pro.  The DNG converter is very easy to use and does not take a long time to do the conversion. All you have to do is select the folder the photos are in and choose the destination folder (same one for me) and the name for the files, (I use the default *.dng), and then hit convert and let it do its work. 

I still use the older CS5 due to the superior RAW converter compared to Paintshop and the Spot and object removal tools which are also far superior to Paintshop. All my other editing I do in Paintshop as I find the menus and features easier to understand and follow.

You can get around this by converting your raw files to DNG using either Adobe's or a third-party DNG converter but it is a hassle.

The only current PP application that still comes on cd is Corel Paintshop Pro AFAIK. 

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

If you're not a professional, I would urge you to have a look at Photoshop Elements (evaluation is dowloadable). It's not the best when it  comes to catalogue and batch processing, but it's a powerfull editing tool and it uses ACR so a recent version will support your camera.

ml_work

ml_work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlabama

Fletch, I have a very old program called Paintshop Pro 6 (JASC Software) it has some nice features but I don't think that is what are talking about...

Bengan, I will check into the Photoshop Elements ... this is all new to me so I don't really know what catalogue or batch processing is .. I think I know from the name but never done that.

Merco_61 ... I think you answered my question that I was going to start a new post for tonight. But since we are talking about this, this is it. I have been looking at the Adobe Lightroom 6 on ebay for around $195.00 , then I see Adobe Lightroom 5 for around $50.00. I was going to ask what is the difference in the two, for me just starting and have nothing and limited budget for the software right now. I was thinking on getting the older version 5 to start with. If I understand you correct, you were telling me the version 6 does not support my D5600 or just the RAW mode?  That comes as a surprise, I thought the D5600 had been around for a few years and Nikon just keep sale it as a price entry point for beginners. I do not shoot in raw mode now, but understand the advantage and I am sure I will in the feature so I would like to have the option at that time. Fletch made the conversion sound fairly simple, but would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks to everyone for you replies.

Michael

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The D5600 NEFs are supported from LR 6.8 onwards. I don't remember what release was on the last install discs made, but an update is the full installer so you won't save any time or data on your limited internet plan over downloading something like Affinity Photo if you need to update LR anyway.

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

The catalogue is a functionality that helps you organize and keep track of all your photos. It's basically a database that stores all kinds of information regarding each photo. There is such a function distributed together with Photoshop Elements, but this is a simpler one

Batch processing is the possibility to make all sorts of conversions, imports and exports and so on to a bunch of photos at a time. Standalone ACR can do batch processing, but it's not as efficient as ACR integrated into Lightroom.

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

Paintshop (JASC) was taken over by Corel, the newest version is Paintshop Pro 2019 iirc.  The ultimate used to include the Topaz Labs bundle but I guess that it was to popular because in the 2018 and newer version they are a paid addon. The base version sells for around 79usd iirc and the ultimate around 100usd but they have frequent sales and you can get them cheaper. 

Fletch, I have a very old program called Paintshop Pro 6 (JASC Software) it has some nice features but I don't think that is what are talking about...