Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Timelapse color flickering

timelapse color colour flicker tonality problem sunrise sunset intervalometer old lens

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Cristian

Cristian

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi, I'm new here.  I've tried to shoot the red line of sunrise along the sea and I've done that from under a very low bridge with the penumbra, so I' ve captured some portions of the sand and palm trees too. I tried it twice but even if I shot all in manual mode I gained a color flickering between some pictures, and it occurs until ten minutes before the golden hour. My old lens is a "Nikkor 28mm 2.8 ai-s" which turns into a 42mm on my Nikon d3200 camera. 
Of course I used an intervalometer and shot in RAW. 
The first time my settings were:
  • shutter speed - 1/20, diaphragm closed to 8, iso 200, 13 minutes shoot time, 3 seconds of interval.
The second time they were:
  • shutter speed - 1/15, diaphragm closed to 11, iso 400, 25 minutes shoot time, 4 seconds of interval. 
Both times I set white balance to - direct sunlight. D-Lightning was enabled. 
Sometimes the colors change tonality, the sand becomes purple and the sky changes colour from blue/dark blue to light blue. There has been an exception though when I have set my values in another different way: 
  • shutter speed - 1/20, diaphragm closed to 5.6, iso 400, 12 minutes shoot time, 4 seconds of interval. In this last case there weren't clouds in the sky and everything was brighter, no color flickering occured.
I read that when there's no much light the camera could not interpret colours in the same way, but I find it bizzarre. Why does the camera read colors differently at every shot and why it doesn't do that in normal video mode? How can I solve this problem? 

I planned to make new shots outside the bridge, maybe something can change. I am hopeful it is just an incorrect setting. Is ND filter necessary? I post-process with Adobe Lightroom but when I noteced such color variations I downloaded - tlTimelapse (not LR TImelapse) - with the hope that it could resolve my problem. It was limited to lower or raiser brightness. I need to know why colours have a different tonality.
I'm just interested now in timelapses then I'm a beginner.   

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: timelapse, color, colour, flicker, tonality, problem, sunrise, sunset, intervalometer, old lens