Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon DF Yay or Nay?

new nikon full frame df

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

MikeSudomaPhoto

MikeSudomaPhoto

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag

Hey everybody, by now I'm sure you all have heard the rumours and seen the videos of the new Nikon full frame DSLR, the Nikon "DF". With a small body, vintage looks, and the same sensor as the D4, the Nikon DF looks to be a great camera for Wedding, Portrait, and Street photographers.  I stumbled upon this write up on PhotoLife.com and it found it to be quite informative. I'll post the link below so everyone can check it out. I personally can't wait for this one to come into stores so I can get my dirty hands on it!  

Link to Article: Nikon Df Review

Let me know your thoughts and opinions on the new body

greatscott94

greatscott94

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Site Supporter

So very yay for aesthetics and function... now it's up to the price to seal he deal.

foto guy

foto guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationConnecticut

Looks kinda funky, but I could probably get used to it. After all, it's about function, not form.

And I like the idea of the whole thing. I'm curious to see how it functions, handles, how well it produces, etc.

The only thing is, the price tag puts it WAY too high for me. Even with the better sensor, it's grossly overpriced.

Until a rich relative leaves me a sizable inheritance, I'll stick with my other Nikon full frame--the F100. (But I reserve the right to change my mind. :) )

Samyaza

Samyaza

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
Nikon Df body only price: $2,746.95, kit: $2,996.95

Nay!  No reason for this to cost over $2,500 with kit lens.  The aesthetics are a little disappointing.  We will see how the IQ holds up compared to the D800/D600.  

Gordo

Gordo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Country Flag

Waiting for official announcement.  I need to see actual specs, performance, viewfinder info especially regarding ability to work well with manual focus lenses, and I need to get one in my hands to see how it feels.  Then I'll make a decision.  I'm a hobbyist, not a pro of any sort, so this is a "pure" want item for me and I need to make sure before I spend the money.

That said, I like the looks and the control layout.  I'd probably pick the black.  Unless I win the lottery, then two of each.  :lol:

Verglace

Verglace

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMelbourne

If it has the same sensor as the D4 then it is definately yay. I wouldn't get it though because I am happy with my D800.

Andi Lo

Andi Lo

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag

Not liking it, 20 buttons on the rear is not "pure photography". For me pure photography have zero buttons on the back

161834b.jpg

foto guy

foto guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationConnecticut

Not liking it, 20 buttons on the rear is not "pure photography". For me pure photography have zero buttons on the back

161834b.jpg

Nice Pentax. ME or another model?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I'm looking forward to seeing it and playing with it, but at least right now I have no desire to purchase it.  Very happy with my D600s.  I am sure I would upgrade to D4s if money wasn't an issue, but right now I'm more interested in getting some new glass right now.

joe1946

joe1946

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

If you want pure photography then build your own pinhole camera. But getting back to the DF it looks like Nikon just wants to keep the old Nikon geezers in the fold. Why is there no 1/8000 sec shutter speed ?

Gordo

Gordo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Country Flag

Based on viewfinder specs (0.7x, 15mm eye-point) and lack of an interchangeable focus screen, I had pretty much decided this wasn't going to be the camera for me.

However... Over on NikonGear forum, Bjørn Rørslett stated he was able to spend some time with one and commented on how easy it was to maunal focus - despite the viewfinder and focus screen specs, even wearing glasses.  Easier than a D800 in his opinion.  (Full discussion thread is here.)

Now I am certain I will hunt one down to put in my hands and try some manual focusing myself, before making a decision to purchase or not.

Andi Lo

Andi Lo

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag

Nice Pentax. ME or another model?

Pentax ME super, my favourite :) Image is not mine though.

The note on manual focusing is interesting... still hard to justify with a D800 price tag. I think Nikon don't expect people to buy new glass after buying this cam, so the profit margin has to come from the camera.

erj42

erj42

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I know what you mean I mostly use pentax and legacy glass and minus the price tag this looked and awesome idea but I was worried it was going to cost this much because of its backward compatibility aah well

MikeSudomaPhoto

MikeSudomaPhoto

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag

161834b.jpg

Just Like the Good Old Days :)

Jonnyupstart

Jonnyupstart

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
I am stuck on if I like it or not. I think a lot if you will agree on this. I'm finding it difficult to for me to like this camera. It is cool , but then it's not. And the price! Way to much! Bring it down some. Who are they marketing to at this price?

ashchuckton

ashchuckton

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOhio USA

I think it is interesting. This old guy is reminded of old Nikon's from my youth. For me the price is just nuts, I'll keep what I have & use my Nikon FM if I feel nostalgic. 

Pablo

Pablo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag

Yay, wonder what the next generation will look like

gabriel2903

gabriel2903

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I really hoped that Nikon would bring about something revolutionary and innovative. But I find the DF to be a frankenstein of sorts, with nothing new to bring to the table. Yes there's a great gimmick of the vintage nowadays but the DF just feels like a current DSLR in a vintage case?

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

For me it is an absolute yes and for only one reason.  I want access to the D4 low-light sensor for half price.  :)