Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

About to dust off my old Minolta

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I've been issued a challenge from my Project 52 Pros group to shoot a roll of film this month--24 carefully composed and thought out photos. The goal is to get us to slow down and think more carefully about our images rather than "spraying and praying" (as some of us admittedly do with digital). The challenge was optional, and originally I had decided to opt out because I am soooooo $!@& busy--I hardly have time to do my regular old digital photo assignments as it is.

But…the more I read about the challenge and the purposes behind it, the more I think I need to do this. 

I don't even know where to start. I've gotta find someplace to buy film and a battery for my old Minolta 35mm.

Color or black and white?

And to be locked into one ISO for the entire roll is such a foreign concept to me these days!

I may be shooting on auto too. I'm such a chimper--I can often make pretty good guesses about where my settings need to be, but I always get feedback from my LCD. This could be interesting. Or disastrous. We'll see.

So…where do you buy film these days?

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Interesting project. Indeed getting back to film will make us start being more selective on what we shoot. Recently I have been scanning my collection of films for the sake of keeping memories alive (I think I mentioned it in a previous post) and in terms of figures only It is a ratio of 1 to 7 (i.e. I am actually shooting about the same number of pictures in 1 year than what I shot per 7 years of film). Where to get films? I think I still can find films with a local photo shop, but would guess that online shops can provide you with easily, especially if you want a specific type of film. Hope you get your Minolta ready again.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

sounds like a great challange Nicole. Will you be scanning the finished images on posting a few for us to see....?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Shooting on film always feels more daunting than it really is. OTOH it can be immensely satisfying when you see the results.

Colour or B/W? What labs do you have available locally and what services do they offer? Lots of labs do not offer traditional B/W anymore and some won't even run chromogenic B/W because of the risk of contaminating the soup with Ilford's XP2. Some labs offer a cheap scan and your photos on CD-ROM.

B & H have most films in stock. If you buy film locally, check the expiration date, the turnover can be slow...

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

sounds like a great challange Nicole. Will you be scanning the finished images on posting a few for us to see....?

If they're not too embarrassing...

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I definitely took fewer shots...and even fewer when I had to pay for the film :)

My first pro football game I shot around 10 rolls - some of which were B&W that I was processing myself - and my wife about died that I'd spent that much on film and processing for just one game...I also remember shooting next to one guy who must have been in training to get ready for shooting digital.   I think that during the time we were next to each other, he was averaging about one roll every few plays.  He was like a NASCAR pit crew changing rolls and he could usually get a roll changed between plays.  No way he would be able to do that now with the "hurry-up" offenses! 

But I think there is a significant difference between shooting more and "spray and pray".  I know I take more photos but I know why in most cases.  The portrait of my son that I submitted for the 11-May challenge is an example.  I shot 4 frames when I saw the opportunity and picked my favorite.  I might have shot one frame with film or maybe I would have saved the film for later since those were the first shots I took.  I also shoot some of the players celebrating after goals or a good play.  Again, those shots might never get taken - especially if I were paying for the film and processing! 

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

In the Phoenix area, we have only two camera stores, and both carry film.  So, I think you should not have much of a problem in UT.

I love the assignment.  I wonder if I would have the patience to go back to my old Minolta 101.

Good luck.

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas

Since it is an optional assignment, if you cannot find film, modify the assignment to digital while keeping it as close as possible.

24 consecutive shots, all at the same iso, turn off auto-white balance, ect...

Again, this is a plan B for if you cannot get the film, you are attempting to learn the same lessons while working within the constraints that you have.

Eagle

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

All right. It looks like I found a nearby store that sells film.

Next question: which film?

Do any of you film shooters have a preference? It looks like I can easily get Fujifilm Provia 100 or 400, Fujifilm Pro 400, Fujifilm Velvia 100, or Kodak Portra 160 or 400. Maybe I just need to go by price--Kodak Portra 160 is the least expensive. :) Fujifilm Provia is the most expensive.

I haven't decided which ISO…mainly because I haven't decided what I'll be shooting.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The Provias and Velvia are slide films, Pro 400 and the Portras are colour neg.

The Portra 400 probably has the greatest exposure latitude of the three neg films. All of these films are easy to scan, but the slide films need a much more precise exposure because the colours wash out if overexposed even a little bit.

Most labs charge more for both developing and scanning E-6 (slides) than C-41 (neg).

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

A-ha!! Good information from you, as usual. Thank you! 

I'm thinking the Portra 400 is what I'll use. Making a trip to the camera store tomorrow…maybe.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Good luck.  It will be fun, and challenging.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Nicole, you oughta go whole hog and get some Tri-X and D-76!  :P

--Ron

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas

Does this have to be 24 different topics, or can it be say a set of 24 senior portraits (obviously not the same shot 24 times)?

Eagle

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Nicole, you oughta go whole hog and get some Tri-X and D-76!  :P

--Ron

Actually, I would love to shoot black and white…and once upon a time I learned how to develop my own film. But that was so many ages ago. I haven't bought the film yet--if I can find a lab that will do the BW, then I may go that route.

Does this have to be 24 different topics, or can it be say a set of 24 senior portraits (obviously not the same shot 24 times)?

Eagle

My understanding is that it needs to be 24 completely different shots, not a set of similar shots as you'd have in a portrait session. I should probably go check that out though. I'm guessing that if I went to the nearby Great Salt Lake, I could compose a nice wide landscape for one shot but then turn around and get a detail shot of some rocks and be just fine.

I actually need to get moving on this! Not too many days left in the month!

Has anyone used thedarkroom.com for film developing?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Actually, I would love to shoot black and white…and once upon a time I learned how to develop my own film. But that was so many ages ago. I haven't bought the film yet--if I can find a lab that will do the BW, then I may go that route.

You can still shoot in B/W, even if you only have access to a C-41 lab. Kodak BW400CN is a monochrome film that is developed in colour neg chemicals.

Unlike the Ilford counterpart, the Kodak film does not contaminate the developer. The Ilford doesn't either, but the first generation did sometimes and a bad rep can live for decades...

Getting the film and shooting under the constraints of this exercise is hardly practical though.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Just found out that when it comes to BW ISO 400, the local camera store carries only Ilford. Weird. Lots of Kodak for color.

So, Peter, am I understanding that many labs won't process Ilford film?

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Somewhere... (don't ask! LOL) I still have my old stainless steel Nikkor developing tanks and reels. I did many a roll of Tri-X in those things. Ah, the memories.....

I was actually kidding you a little, Nicole. And, although I have had B&W film developed and printed by a lab, I was never crazy about the results. If I were you I'd have trouble deciding on a film to use too. I'd probably pick an E6 slide film.... you can only use one type of film, right?

--Ron

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Somewhere... (don't ask! LOL) I still have my old stainless steel Nikkor developing tanks and reels. I did many a roll of Tri-X in those things. Ah, the memories.....

I was actually kidding you a little, Nicole. And, although I have had B&W film developed and printed by a lab, I was never crazy about the results. If I were you I'd have trouble deciding on a film to use too. I'd probably pick an E6 slide film.... you can only use one type of film, right?

--Ron

I'm jealous actually! I always wanted my own equipment to develop my own film. Then digital came around and I gave up that dream. :)

I guess I'm supposed to stick a roll in the camera and shoot it, so yes, one type of film. So why slide film?
  • Ron likes this

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas

Then digital came around and I gave up that dream. :)

Why give up at that point?  That is when the equipment got cheap, as people were getting rid of stuff and converting to digital.

Eagle