Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I wonder.

wonder

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Does anyone besides me believe that a return to film photography is imminent?  The reason I say this is because on other sites I read about some folks that have increased their purchases of color print film along with a film SLR.

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to revert back to film unless they are just shooting film to be doing something different  occasionally.  I myself am looking at an old (vintage) film camera to use every so often, but the expense of film purchasing and developing seems to be excessive.

The last time I purchased Black & White film was about 8 years ago and Ilford HP 5 was approximately $10.00 for 36 exposures, but it also cost me nearly $30.00 to have them developed.  That really was my catalyst in migrating over to digital photography.

Please share any thoughts on this.

Thnx, 

Tony

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

As much as i loved the film days i dont ever want to go back, i did my own darkroom work, B/W color prints and slde developing,that was all part of the fun at the time, i now need instant gratification :D

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 6,914 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Analog still thrives, but not as an alternative to digital. It is an artistic medium in its own right.

Developing black and white film is still cheap if you do it yourself. A basic Paterson System 4 tank with two reels is less than $30, a changing bag costs about the same and developer, stop bath and fixer are about $3 per film. A used enlarger doesn't cost much, neither does a scanner with film capabilities. It is much more hands on than digital and the discipline one develops when every frame costs is beneficial even when shooting digital.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • Country Flag

Does anyone besides me believe that a return to film photography is imminent?

I was very reluctant to join the D world… very. But, since the D3S,
I did the jump and there is NO WAY BACK.

I too have some film nostalgia but no thanks.

Bengan

Bengan

Loyal Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

I took up film photography again a couple of years ago. It started with me taking my old friend, the 1969 Pentax Spotmatic, for a stroll. It was actually great fun and I have now and then continued to put a roll of film in an old film era camera. Using film also gives me some kind of acknowledgement that I know what I'm doing.

B/W film also gives me a nother challenge as I have to think and try to see the world in black and white. It is a completely different mindset from digital color shots that may look good in B/W.

Although film photography has a renaissance and Kodak has reintroduced Ektachrome, I don't think that it will make a lot of people throw away their DSLRs.

I follow a number of threads at Pentaxforums where there are a number of people who are exclusively dedicated to film photography, but it's not a huge bunch.

I think that old cameras are exciting. My old Rolleiflex was built in the late 1950's and is still in perfect working condition. I don't expect either of my digital bodies to be working when (or rather if) they become that age. Just my two cents.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • Country Flag

I don't expect either of my digital bodies to be working when (or rather if) they become that age. Just my two cents.

I don't see why?

It is like Macs machines: they get obsolete before they failed
in any way. DSLRs have way less moving parts to go wrong

but the supporting technologies are moving on fast.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
Film never truly went away. But like vinyl and other analog, most consumers won't put up with it, and most pros can't afford to be without the accelerated workflow digital provides.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,735 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Some excellent commentaries here.  I suppose getting down to the bare bones of the issue, one would have to ask himself/herself, "Which medium do I find to be the most rewarding?".  So dollars and cents aside, which one makes me the happiest?  Sort of like, "To be or not to be."

For me, the fact is, I like it all and now I am stoked and may start looking around for a good, used Nikon N8008s (best film camera ever made) and work from there.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback.

Cheers,

Tony

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 6,914 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

If you want the best SLR Nikon have made, there are three that I, personally rank higher than the F801s/N8008s. These are the F2AS, F4 in any version and the Nikkormat FT3.

There is one 35 mm SLR that I rank even higher than the Nikons, that is the Contax RTSIII.

All these are very sturdy workhorses where you worry about the table and not the camera if you hit a table with the camera. I have cracked three top covers on my F801s over the years and know that it doesn't take much impact to do so. OTOH, these were used for PJ work where an F4 would have been a better choice.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,420 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I know a couple of people who have adopted a sort of hybrid approach to this. They shoot B&W with film cameras and develop the film normally. They then use a slide/film converter to make digital files which they manipulate in Photoshop or other software. They get the satisfaction of using their analog cameras and some of the advantages of digital. But they are doing this strictly for their own enjoyment. They aren't working photographers.

--Ron

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • Country Flag

These are the F2AS, F4 in any version and the Nikkormat FT3.

The day I converted my operations from F to D, I held in
my hands both my F4E and the D3S… heartbreaking.

Like holding a faithful trusted lover and a new passion.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 6,914 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I still use my F4E sporadically. I only kept one of the three i had as I needed the money for the Kodak DCS 760. Back in 2001 they were still worth selling.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • Country Flag

For my work then, the D3S was the minimum I would move

to. I still have my three F4E… not worth selling anymore but 

this is with all my film stuff… can't/don't want to get rid of'm.

Manwithacam

Manwithacam

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
Film is alive and well. Kodak have brought out a new slide film, Ektachrome. New films come out quite regularly from different brands.

I own more than 150 film cameras 20 of those are Nikon. I've paid less for cameras than I have for film. I shoot more film than I do digital. I think makes you think more about each shot because of the cost per shot.

I have the F801 and F801s which I believe is the equivalent of the n8008. I use the F80 more than that or the F90x. More than these I would use my FM2n or FE.

I also have a Nikkormat FTn but use my EL more because of the readily available PX28 battery. What battery does the FT2 use?

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 6,914 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The Nikkormat FT2 and FT3 both use LR-44 or SR-44, unlike the FTn which uses a PX625 mercury cell.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wonder