Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lens compatibility

lens

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Kaseyguitar9

Kaseyguitar9

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I am looking at purchasing a telephoto lens.....

(AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED) 

for my d5200 .....it says in the compatibility description that it will work on the 5200 but with limited function? Can't seem to find anywhere what specifically that means? 

Thanks for any insight! Kasey

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It is a bit late, but the answer is here.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

According to Ken Rockwell's Lens Compatibility Chart, the AF-P Lenses will not focus at all on the D5200.  The reasons are not stated, so that is it.  Hope this helps.  

Tony

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Tony, could you post a link to where he says that? Nikon themselves say that they will focus, but there are other limitations.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Hi Peter,

Yes sir, here is the link.  You will need to scroll down near to the end to find the D5200 and then over to the far right, under AF-P lenses, you will see it in big, red letters.  Hope this helps.

TT

https://kenrockwell....bility-lens.htm

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

It is interesting that he doesn't mention it earlier where he writes about the AF-P lenses. It is a strange one as it is neither compatible nor incompatible.

In this passage, it isn't mentioned at all...

Skärmavbild 2019-03-05 kl. 17.21.47.png

I didn't screengrab the full passage, but what is there should be enough to identify where I mean.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yes sir, you are correct in that it is interesting.  The only way to rebut his (Rockwell's) claim is to find someone who can prove him wrong.

As always, many thanks Peter. Hope this finds you well.  Haven't had the privilege of viewing much of your awesome photography lately, or am I just not looking in the right places?

Rgds,

Tony

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yes sir, you are correct in that it is interesting.  The only way to rebut his (Rockwell's) claim is to find someone who can prove him wrong.

As always, many thanks Peter. Hope this finds you well.  Haven't had the privilege of viewing much of your awesome photography lately, or am I just not looking in the right places?

Rgds,

Tony

I don't know if you have seen these? A short walk along the river - Post Your Photos - NikonForums.com and Live music 2018-02-13 - Post Your Photos - NikonForums.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lens