Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wide angle lens

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

franksgym

franksgym

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
I have a Nikon D810 with a Nikkor AF-S 24-120
1:3.5 to 5.6 lens I’m using it for portrait with a backdrop. I was told I should a wide angle lens. My budget is under $500, would it make a huge difference? My backdrop is 10’ tall 12’ wide & standing 10’ to 12’ away. any opinions on this topic appreciated. (My camera uses only full crop lens)

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

Wide angle lenses make terrible portraits. One of the better portrait lenses for full frame would a fast prime in the neighborhood of 85mm to 120mm, or one of the 70-200/80-200 F/2.8 zooms.

At your budget I'd probably go with the AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G | Fast Lens from Nikon

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Why would you want a wide angle for portraits? I would like to hear the theory behind that choice as all conventional wisdom as well as my own experience says that a short tele works best for nice portraiture.

The 85 that Scott recommends is a solid performer.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I have the ƒ 1,4 version of that lens… great for portraits say

head to waist. For full figure, then a 35+ mm should be OK.