Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Filter/Lens compatability

cpl lens

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

d71hundred

d71hundred

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

I recently purchased an ICE HD CPL for use with my 300mm AF-S f/4 ED. When I attached the filter the AF locked onto the subject but would not focus properly. The image was fuzzy. I recently calibrated the lens, so the AF is spot-on, with and without the TC 14E Teleconverter. I tried the filter on other lenses and it worked perfectly. Can anyone shed light on this mystery?

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

I once bought a filter that had a coating on it that was not noticeable until I tried to clean it. I had to use a solvent to get it off as regular cleaning fluid just smeared it around.  Maybe the filer you have needs cleaning?

d71hundred

d71hundred

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Fletch,

Thanks for your reply. I wish it was as simple as cleaning. I've mounted the filter on various other lenses and it works perfectly. As I said initially I had calibrated the lens recently and the AF is spot-on. Bit of a mystery. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Fuzzy as in image degradation or fuzzy as in front- or backfocused?

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

Fuzzy as in image degradation or fuzzy as in front- or backfocused?

Yes, you may want to check front-/backfocus. Adding a filter can in some cases alter AF

d71hundred

d71hundred

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Merco_61

Thanks for your input. The whole frame is out of focus, corner to corner.

d71hundred

d71hundred

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Bengan, thanks for your reply. It's possible that the filter can throw out the AF. I could try to re-calibrate the lens with the filter attached. If that happens to be successful the problem would then be that I'd have to calibrate it again once I take it off. Not really a solution that's very practical.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Is the front element situated closer or further from the filter in the 300 than the lenses where the filter works?

When this distance is exactly right, the space between the flat surface of the filter and the front element refracts like an extra element. This can usually be solved by getting another filter or use a distance ring when mounting the filter. You can check if this is your problem by just taping the filter on without using the threads.

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

A dirty test may be to just hold the filter approx 5 mm in front of the lens, take a shot and see if that improves the result. If so Peters suggestion is the way to go. Maybe you could take out the glass in a really low cost UV-filter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cpl, lens