Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Creating a backup direct from my d500 & d610?

newbie needs help.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Gman23

Gman23

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Next year I am going on a trip to the Maasai Mara In Kenya and I’m looking for suggestions on keeping backup copies of my photos and video. I’m taking my iPad Pro and Lightning Card Reader adapter which will give me one method. I don’t have room to take my laptop.
Does anyone know if it’s possible to backup photos & video directly from my d500 and d610 to a Samsung external hard drive? I’ve tried tethering it to my iPad, but I get an error message advising me that it takes too much power.

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

I've never used these so I can't tell you how good or bad they are.

https://www.amazon.c...7047449833&th=1

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Both the D500 and the D610 offer two slots for memory cards, right? Can't you create backups right in the camera this way, as in saving the same exposure to both cards in the same format?

If this works, you could load up on memory cards instead of using another device that needs cables and electricity to work. Even if you run out of memory cards during the trip, they're probably easier to come by than another hard drive that works without a computer.

Depending on your travel arrangements and internet access, transferring everything to the iPad and than upload the pictures to a cloud storage service like Dropbox might also be an alternative (or an additional way of keeping everything safe).