Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

how to get z6 files to open in window photo.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

is there update that will allow window photo to see z6 raw files 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What software do you mean? Windows Photo Viewer or Windows Photos? This might help the members who use windows answer your question.

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

I use Windows Photos to import from the camera to the computer and it has never shown the NEF files.  I do regular updates so unless I'm doing something wrong, I'm pretty sure it's not a feature of the app to view Raw files. Even File Explorer just shows a generic icon for Raw files. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I use Windows Photos to import from the camera to the computer and it has never shown the NEF files.  I do regular updates so unless I'm doing something wrong, I'm pretty sure it's not a feature of the app to view Raw files. Even File Explorer just shows a generic icon for Raw files. 

From what I have read, Windows Photo Viewer should be able to handle raw files if the relevant codecs from the camera manufacturers are installed.

I don't know anything about Windows Photos. As it has an editing package built-in, it probably needs better raw support than a pure viewer.

Nikon's codec doesn't seem to support the Z6 yet, only the Z7.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

i have old update that lets you read raw files like nef for program called photo on windows 10. i had to do update to capture nx-d and viewnx-i not sure why program called photo can not read the raw files from Z6. i can see all my other nef files in photo but not Z6 ones. not sure why no update for it. sucked i had to get update for other 2 programs to read it too. also sucks no firmware update for Z6 too. 

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

I just updated the codec from Nikon and no luck, the nef files are still not viewable for me in Windows Photo.  Windows Photo Viewer was the old (pre 10) version of viewing photos on Windows.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

if any one here wants to get Z6 raw files to look at have to update capture nd-x and viewnx-i to edit them. not sure when lightroom or photoshop will let you touch them. but glad can use capture ND-X and viewNX-i can let you see and edit. also glad got more stuff in picture control has more setting to pick from to change color of photo. i might use money mom give me for birthday and x-mas to pay for year of lightroom and Photoshop. 

john coles

john coles

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Does anybody know why raw files are overexposed in the windows 10 photo viewer when i know that they are not overexposed im am using a Nikon Z6 Mk2 wirh the FZ adapter and im shooting in P mode, all of the Jpegs are fine and look great

john coles

john coles

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

if any one here wants to get Z6 raw files to look at have to update capture nd-x and viewnx-i to edit them. not sure when lightroom or photoshop will let you touch them. but glad can use capture ND-X and viewNX-i can let you see and edit. also glad got more stuff in picture control has more setting to pick from to change color of photo. i might use money mom give me for birthday and x-mas to pay for year of lightroom and Photoshop. 

Is there a link for the update as i have downloaded the Nikon soft wear but i cant seen to crop photos is there a way round it at all?

mariah

mariah

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBangladesh,Dhaka

Does anybody know why raw files are overexposed in the windows 10 photo viewer when i know that they are not overexposed im am using a Nikon Z6 Mk2 wirh the FZ adapter and im shooting in P mode, all of the Jpegs are fine and look great

Yes I have noticed the same thing. The photos are over exposed and totally ruins everything. If I manually turn down the exposure then it shows really dark on the camera if I send the pictures to my camera. Can we stop this?. I know that we can do nothing and leave it like that, but while editing due to over exposure I cannot do what I want to do. I do not see the final result as the exposure is not right. What should I do?. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yes I have noticed the same thing. The photos are over exposed and totally ruins everything. If I manually turn down the exposure then it shows really dark on the camera if I send the pictures to my camera. Can we stop this?. I know that we can do nothing and leave it like that, but while editing due to over exposure I cannot do what I want to do. I do not see the final result as the exposure is not right. What should I do?. 

Why not use a file browser that can handle Nikon files? ViewNX-i is free.

john coles

john coles

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Why not use a file browser that can handle Nikon files? ViewNX-i is free.

its to complicated to use i prefer windows 10 photo viewer also i cant seen to save what i have edited in view NX

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

its to complicated to use i prefer windows 10 photo viewer also i cant seen to save what i have edited in view NX

Export to a new file using Ctrl+E

john coles

john coles

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Export to a new file using Ctrl+E

Same problem after Ctrl+ E they are still over exposed in windows 10 photo viewer of which is easy to use

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Your prefered file browser doesn't handle the Z6II raw files yet. You will have to either live with them being shown overexposed or learn to use another browser until the people in Redmond update Photo Viewer.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I guess you guys have already looked in the Microsoft Windows Store and checked out their RAW image extension.

ms raw image extension.PNG

Some people have complained that it doesn't recognize some RAW formats so your mileage may vary.

--Ron

Disclaimer: I don't personally have this installed on my windows 10 computer. I do have a previous version of their RAW codec which worked the last time I checked. But then, I usually use either Adobe Camera RAW or  Nikon's Capture NX-D.

john coles

john coles

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Your prefered file browser doesn't handle the Z6II raw files yet. You will have to either live with them being shown overexposed or learn to use another browser until the people in Redmond update Photo Viewer.

At last i've found the cure to this problem you need to get this fix from Nikon

Nikon | Download center | NEF Codec

willsinc

willsinc

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

At last i've found the cure to this problem you need to get this fix from Nikon

Nikon | Download center | NEF Codec

Thank you for this, solved my problem I can now see the preview NEF's in explorer.

john coles

john coles

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

same problem over exposed when shooting raw jpeg files come out crystal clear (Thats with the update you sent me on Jan3rd)

willsinc

willsinc

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

John Coles - Something weird in that quote, I didn't post that.

However I think you will normally find that jpg's will present better generally than unedited RAW pictures, which are unprocessed data.