Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5: Active D-Lighting and High ISO NR

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

bobvasi

bobvasi

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag

Subject: rodeo events,

Time of Day: mid-afternoon to night.  At dusk the stadium lights are on.

Camera: D5

Lenses: 70-200 f/2,8, 300 f/2.8

1. What is your opinion on having the menu item 'Active D-lighting' set to ON?

2. What is your opinion on having the menu item 'Long exposure NR' set to ON?

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

Long exposure NR does nothing for normal shutter speeds. For longer ones (seconds), it takes a second exposure with the shutter closed whose inverse is applied to the image to cancel out hot/noisy pixels.

As for Active D-lighting, if your shooting JPEG and like the look of it use it. If you're shooting RAW I'd recommend leaving it off as I sometimes see it causing changes in exposure.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I don't use either when I am shooting low light action...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

ADL can make more noise visible as it lifts the shadows to achieve the dynamic lighting effect. It is much better to shoot in raw or use a low-contrast preset if shooting jpg. You can then make your own preset that tweaks the curves in post with better results than the camera can produce on the fly.

LeNR isn't very useful even on the longer exposures where it activates as manually mapping out hot pixels in post works better, and doesn't lock up the camera by doubling the exposure time.

Definitely keep them off for rodeos and other action events in lowish light.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I am always delighted to see a well geared member offering
to share test results that may be beneficial to all members.

It puzzles me to see a well pro-gear equipped member still as-
king amateur questions.

bobvasi

bobvasi

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag

Long exposure NR does nothing for normal shutter speeds. For longer ones (seconds), it takes a second exposure with the shutter closed whose inverse is applied to the image to cancel out hot/noisy pixels.

As for Active D-lighting, if your shooting JPEG and like the look of it use it. If you're shooting RAW I'd recommend leaving it off as I sometimes see it causing changes in exposure.

Thank you for your reply.   To ask the opinions of others is a good way to discover a technique that I have not thought of. I review a menu every week and as I read the Nikon description of these items I wondered if anyone uses them.  Also, I am considering shooting both RAW and jpeg and so I wanted your opinion and insight.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I am considering shooting both RAW and jpeg and so I wanted your opinion and insight.

I can justify jpegs at capture only for those shooting for a tabloid

— of any interest — that are dealing tight publishing schedules.

Otherwise, the step makes no sense as it is so easily produced in

batch from within the converter.

bobvasi

bobvasi

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag

I am always delighted to see a well geared member offering
to share test results that may be beneficial to all members.

It puzzles me to see a well pro-gear equipped member still as-
king amateur questions.

Thank you for your reply,  

Each week I conduct a review of a menu to confirm that my memorization of menu items is accurate, When I came to these menu items, I wondered how my fellow photographers use them.  The Nikon guide to menu items and the D5 manual, describe these menu items in such a way as to infer that these are quite useful. I don't often photograph with long exposures so I was interested to find out if other Nikon users employ the settings in the long exposure menu.   

Because I often photograph with lighting conditions that are a challenge I was interested to discover how others utilize Active D-Lighting.  Because I shoot RAW, I don't use this menu item, however, I am contemplating shooting RAW + jpeg so I can present my photos faster.  Thus, i asked for the opinion of my fellow Nikon users as to their use of the settings availed by the Active D-Lighting menu item. 

I don't want to guide a response, and thus I get to the point. 

I don't know everything about the D5.  I have my D5 set in a way that seems right for my use.  However, if there is a better way to set it, then I want to know this.  Thus I asked for the opinion of others  As an airline Captain, I value the opinion and suggestions of my First Officer.  I am not arrogant. My way is not the only way. He has difference experiences than I have, thus his insight is different. Of course, the final decision is mine and mine alone.  Even so to shut out insight that might be critical would not be wise.

If asking for the opinion of others is amateurish, then so be it. I would rather be known as an amateur who produces high-quality photos than a professional who should do better.

Also, I don't post photos on this forum that are published or those that I present to clients.  I post photos that are failures.  Do we not learn more by the discovery of why a photo failed than we do from successes?

ADL can make more noise visible as it lifts the shadows to achieve the dynamic lighting effect. It is much better to shoot in raw or use a low-contrast preset if shooting jpg. You can then make your own preset that tweaks the curves in post with better results than the camera can produce on the fly.

LeNR isn't very useful even on the longer exposures where it activates as manually mapping out hot pixels in post works better, and doesn't lock up the camera by doubling the exposure time.

Definitely keep them off for rodeos and other action events in lowish light.

Thank you for your insight.  Good Idea about presets.