Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon d80

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

gdgros

gdgros

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag
Hell everyone have a quick question and just need opinion

I have the Nikon D800 kit camera looking to purchase a 50 mm lens for it the camera is still good and take great pics I like taking nature pics, pics of fireworks, indoor pics , action pics etc what would be a good all around lens for this camera I would like to spend about 200 bucks

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

D80 or D800????????

For 200$, the D80 will support your ambitions equipped

with a 35mm or a used mid focal length zoom.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I suppose that you still have the D80...

I think that a 35/1.8 DX would suit your needs better than a 50/1.8 for now. You can use the kit zoom to check what focal length you need by setting it to whatever you want to try and locking it with a piece of vinyl tape that holds the zoom ring still.

I don't think you ever answered what kit lens you have. The D80 was available in quite a few kit combinations.

gdgros

gdgros

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag
Sorry that was D80 not D800

gdgros

gdgros

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag
My lense is the 18-135 3.5-5.6

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

It would help to know which kit lens you have now.

That said, most kit lenses are designed to cover a wide range of photographic situations. And most, if not all, of them cover a focal length range from wide to moderate telephoto. So, if you want to augment what that lens can do, you need to be as specific as possible about what you're trying to accomplish. For example, most kit lenses should be able to do everything on your list of photo interests. But, if by "indoor" you mean low light, then a lens with a wider aperture will come in handy. And, the 35mm f/1.8G DX lens that Peter suggested would be a good choice.

--Ron

gdgros

gdgros

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks guys