Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wireless remote for D7100

wireless remote d7100

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

mommabear1919

mommabear1919

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm looking for options for a wireless remote for the D7100.  I found a WR-1, but they are very expensive ($550).  I found the Phottix Cleon II, for only $45, but had seen ones that have an image display on them, so was curious about those.  
I also ran across a notation that Nikon has free wireless mobility application for the smartphone and iphones, so I downloaded it but can't figure out how to use it.  I'm guessing I must still buy a transmitter of some sort.. or a transmitter and receiver??  Does anyone know how to use this free app to use the phone as a remote with image display?

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

$550? Pffffft. 

Pocket change. 

:lol:

BeerBelly

BeerBelly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSlovenia

The smartphone app is meant to be used with this:

Nikon WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter | Nikon

which is the official wi-fi transmitter for the D7100. 

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for that link!

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Thanks for the link. Would be interested to hear from anyone in the forum who has one of these gadgets and has used it. Have read some negative comment reviews on amazon and on the link provided. I understand that at one stage Amazon Uk took it off the market whilst they made enquiries into complaints. I have no personal evidence to support suggestion that this is not a good product, but before spending £48 in the UK plus delivery costs, would want to make sure it is worth the money and would be useful. So anyone out there actually used this device?

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSydney, Australia
I have that wireless transmitter and the app for my D600. It was pretty fun to play with. You can see the photos you've taken. You can remotely view and camera and take photos.

It all worked great until you had lots of photos on the camera. It would also drop out sometimes. I think I only paid around $100 new for mine.

The problem is it downloads the whole image to view it, not just a thumbnail. So when you start getting lots of images it slows down til it stops. Obviously if you're shooting in RAW it happens faster. I never shot in low JPG so don't know if that would've been better (only ever shot in RAW or FINE JPG).

If you have any specific questions let me know.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
I used the wireless transmitter again when I went to the Zoo today. The software has been upgraded and it ran smoothly. I had over 200 photos and it connected fine and transferred the photos smoothly to my phone. Definitely comes in handy.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

You can get infra-red remotes for about $10. They have limited range in sunlight, but go about 10 metres or further in shady conditions. And they're tiny.

Like this: http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c3891e6aa

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
I have one of those as well. Very handy for taking "selfies"... lol. Seriously though great for taking long exposure shots where you don't want any camera shake at all.

The wireless transmitter is just a cool toy for uploading photos straight away to your phone or tablet and it is handy to be able to view what you're about to photograph as well.

Both very much worth having in your kit imo.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I used the wireless transmitter again when I went to the Zoo today. The software has been upgraded and it ran smoothly. I had over 200 photos and it connected fine and transferred the photos smoothly to my phone. Definitely comes in handy.

You have convinced me Rockrumble and will include the wireless transmitter on my photographic kit 'wish list', along with the other items that being on this site has drawn to my attention. Perhaps a potential Christmas gift suggestion.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
Used it today to play around with. It makes things interesting. If you take photos from the phone it uploads them straight away to your phone.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

OK, after much sucking of teeth have ordered a Nikon wireless remote for my D7100. Will let you know how it works out.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

The wireless remote is great and easy to use. Great for shooting with your tripod. Even better if you don't want people to know you're taking photos once you've set it up. :)

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The wireless remote is great and easy to use. Great for shooting with your tripod. Even better if you don't want people to know you're taking photos once you've set it up. :)

You have just provided me with an interesting thought. Could set up D7100 on tripod using wireless remote, whilst at the same time using D40 to take photographs.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

Now there is a great idea. Setup the D7100 with a good wide angle and shoot remotely and as you said have more of a zoom or longer prime to get get close ups on your D40. Glad I was able to help. :)

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

OK received the wireless remote this afternoon and have had a quick play on it. Firstly if you are an ipad or iphone user, you need to download the application via itunes. I was out in the Sandbanks area near Poole (south coast of England across from Isle of Wight) for lunch and had taken a number of photos. So have used wireless gadget to transfer an image stored on camera sd card across to my iphone.IMG_1439.JPG

OK received the wireless remote this afternoon and have had a quick play on it. Firstly if you are an ipad or iphone user, you need to download the application via itunes. I was out in the Sandbanks area near Poole (south coast of England across from Isle of Wight) for lunch and had taken a number of photos. So have used wireless gadget to transfer an image stored on camera sd card across to my iphone.IMG_1439.JPG

Here is the image I transfered across to iphone and then emailed to my computer and uploaded into gallery: Trish Sandbanks Beach Nov 2013 - Bournemouth, Poole and Sandbanks Beach Walks - Gallery - NikonForums.com
Trish Sandbanks Beach Nov 2013.JPG

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

Nice work. It's easy to use isn't it. I downloaded mine from Google Play (as I have an android phone). What are your thoughts now that you have it and have used it?

(I'm also curious how different the apple version is to the android version).

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

My initial thoughts are that it is not a sophisticated device, however, I can see applications in terms of social networking and sharing images, but I can also see the opportunity to develop the way I use in terms of using two cameras at the same time plus using it for night sky shots with my ipad which has star maps, but think most of them will involve me using a tripod. I also downloaded ten images from my camera via the system and although it was not lightening fast, it was not 'watch a kettle boile' slow. Will update you in the future as I use it and the results I get. My main problem is that I am going from being a guy who used camera on auto to someone who is learning to use all the facilities. But it is fun and you guys are a great help and encouragement.

My initial thoughts are that it is not a sophisticated device, however, I can see applications in terms of social networking and sharing images, but I can also see the opportunity to develop the way I use in terms of using two cameras at the same time plus using it for night sky shots with my ipad which has star maps, but think most of them will involve me using a tripod. I also downloaded ten images from my camera via the system and although it was not lightening fast, it was not 'watch a kettle boile' slow. Will update you in the future as I use it and the results I get. My main problem is that I am going from being a guy who used camera on auto to someone who is learning to use all the facilities. But it is fun and you guys are a great help and encouragement.

For guys read male and female...

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

Hows is it going? Have you managed to use it?

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Hows is it going? Have you managed to use it?

I have played about with it, but not used it out on a shoot. Quite busy at the moment and hope that will get an opportunity over the Christmas holiday period.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wireless remote, d7100