Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Snapsport review of Nikon D600

d600canonswitching upgrading snapsport d600 canon 5d mark iii

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Jen_1984

Jen_1984

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Snapsport rates the d600 very highly, even surpassing the Canon 5d mark ii and iii. Those you with firsthand experience with both cameras, do you agree?? Is the d600 a great all around camera that could be better than the mark iii??

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Its sensor has received higher ratings on DXO, a highly regarded sensor testing site. Some of us can't say if its all around better than the Canons as we don't use Canon!! We've all picked Nikon over Canon for various reasons. I liked their ability to use older Nikon lenses, which Canon isn't as backward compatible.

Brazeal

Brazeal

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

I haven't shot a Canon in years, but I extensively researched the D600/800 and Canon 5D III before ultimately buying the D610.  All of the cameras will take incredible photos, so I think it all boils down to what features you really need for your type of photography.  When I compared the 5D to the D800 and looked at the features of each camera, I could not justify why the 5D was so much more expensive, when in most areas the D800 was the same or better.  And of course, there is no comparison if the 36MP resolution is important to you.

I'd recommed reading about the dust/oil issues with the D600 first.  I chose to go with the D610 because I didn't want to gamble and hope that I received a D600 that didn't have the oil/dust issues.  Yes, the D610 is more expensive than the D600, but I would rather pay more than have to worry about sending the camera in to Nikon for service and potentially wait weeks to get my camera back.  If you don't mind wet cleaning your sensor every so often, then there are some great deals on the D600 now.

Andi Lo

Andi Lo

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag

The IQ difference matters little imo, At this point of the IQ unless you're constantly pushing the boudaries of what the bodies can do, it's a wash. What matters more is featureset.

IMO the biggest weakness of D600 is its rather subpar 1/200 sync speed and AF points that's not spread out enough.

As a disclaimer, I rarely find the AF points to be inadequate. The focusing especially 3d Tracking is excellent and I'm getting tons more keepers compared to my previous cameras.

I do wish the camera does at least 1/250 sync though.

My D600 was bought refurb from Nikon Canada and have no dust issue. Caveat emptor though. With D600 I honestly wouldn't buy used unless it's really well used and the owner can provide lots of raw files that show no dust spot at f 16

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d600canonswitching, upgrading, snapsport, d600, canon 5d mark iii