Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sigma 150-600mm c vs tamron 150-600mm g1 ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

^h^

^h^

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi everyone,

Just looking for a bit of advice, i own the nikon d7200 and need to buy a super telephoto so i can shoot some wildlife and the occasional sports. The two lenses i have come up with to are either the sigma 150-600mm c or the tamron 150-600mm G1. i have a very low budget and these two lenses seem to be the best options for my money. which one would be better to buy?

Many thanks 

^h^

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 G2 Review

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

No link - sorry.

^h^

^h^

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

I was wondering more what peoples experience is using any of these lenses.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,643 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I tried them both when I was trying to decide what 150-600 to get. The Sigma C has a bit more bite to it and the more abrupt light falloff in the corners is easily corrected in post. On a D7200, the vignetting is not a problem with either. The Tamron is a bit less sharp at both extremes in focal length but sharper mid-range than the Sigma and has slightly lower contrast.

I ended up with the Sigma S even if it is a heavy beast and uses more expensive filters. The reason is the balance handheld and the fact that it is made to be used as either a ring or a push-pull zoom. I like to hold the lens just behind the hood, or even on the rear of the hood for stability. Being able to zoom the lens without changing this grip is important for how I use it.

^h^

^h^

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks very much, looks like ill go for the sigma than

^h^

^h^

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

The only other lens that i was thinking of was the sigma 50-500? what is that like?

or has anyone else got any other ideas for a low budget super telephoto?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,643 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The Bigma and the Sigmonster were really nice on the D3 and D700, but the D300 and D90 taxed their resolution. A 24 MP DX sensor without an AA filter definitely needs better glass.

^h^

^h^

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

Ok what about the fairly new sigma 100-400mm?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,643 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Ok what about the fairly new sigma 100-400mm?

I don't know, haven't tried it. Let's hope someone else has.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

I liked the new Sigma 100-400 and found with the D500 it worked well with the 1.4, in your situation though i would get the Sigma 150-600C.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

i have first gen tamron 150-600mm i love the lens. but wish had cash for sigma sport model since weather sealed lens. but now using first gen tamron 150-600mm i love it. i might have some example from my d7200 body. here one from grand stand of softball stadium look across the soccer field d7200 F/11  1/1000 iso 1250 600mm 

here link from my nikon image space account since all files to big to post will add more later 

NIKON IMAGE SPACE

• ^h^ likes this

^h^

^h^

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for that.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for that

just to let you know i have to work in area with low light is issue and have to move around to find a sweet spot i have few area now if can get closer to field. but with way place set up hard to get pictures. just lucky that day was take softball pictures and was daylight for it. when at field most dusk or nightlight 

• ^h^ likes this

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

The problem you will have with any of the lenses mentioned would be low light.  Don't expect to be using them at night games - at least not without very high ISO.  I have seen some great wildlife images and sports images with all of them, but they were not low light images.  

• ^h^ likes this

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

The Sigma C is a little sharper as mentioned. The Tamron has better shake reduction. I ended up buying the Sigma C and I must say that the shake reduction on that one works just fine

Bronco22

Bronco22

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a Nikon D3100 and am thinking of upgrading  to a Nikon D3500. My question is I have a Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di USD lens  that works on my D3100, will this lens work on the D3500 ? The 3100 takes Af-S lens while the D3500 takes a Af-P lens. Thanks 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,643 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The D3500 works with AF-S and AF-P lenses, so there should not be a problem.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

just to let you know if have tamron 150-600 g1 will work on Z6 but get no autofocus on it. pictures came out great but wish could use autofocus on it. when out today will try to take some pictures with on Z6 when at local park with nature walk trails.