Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Senior portraits

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

My grandson is a senior in high school this year.  He asked me to do a session for him this week.  This is the first time I've tried something like this.  I probably should have used some fill lighting, but hindsight doesn't improve pictures...  Next time.  He's a country boy and we took these on his other grandparent's farm.

I know that I tend to be more critical of my photos than I am of other's.  When I look at these I have a number of "I should have..." thoughts.  I'm learning that I am not very good at this during the session, and I don't have enough experience to make suggestions on posing.  I would appreciate any C&C on either the photos or the edits.

i-fDCjvRR-X2.jpg

i-KbstW2S-X2.jpg

i-Lt9rRKz-XL.jpg

i-S9rTN4J-X2.jpg

i-bvqVNpV-X2.jpg

i-68qcGK9-XL.jpg

It seems like just yesterday he looked like this.  Time flies...

i-vPxRjbG-L.jpg

brad10281

brad10281

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMichigan
You did a fine job, in my opinion. I did the same thing this summer and fall for my daughter and her friend. I hauled a flash and umbrella around trying to get a good exposure in midday sun along with several ND filters. It was fun but it definitely takes practice. Fall pics were easier as it was an overcast day.

Your exposures seem great. Posing and paying attention to the details is the hardest part. Photo 1 above isn't the greatest pose and his pant leg needs fixed. Photo 2 looks like he has broken legs due to his boots. Seeing these little details through the viewfinder is the most difficult part. My problem was hair with my daughter's friend, flying all over.

You learn the most during the first session, after reviewing the photos. If you plan to do any other sessions with him they get better and easier.

I think 3 - 6 look fine. I would avoid introducing flash unless you really know what you're doing. You did great with the available light.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

A fresher pair of boots might have been a good idea, too. With soles fully attached, for example. ;-)

This is a very nice series, nevertheless.

I have to admit, I don't have any ideas or pointers regarding, what you should have done, to improve the results, so just a few things I've noticed.

In no. 2 and 4, the "props" have too many details, in my opinion. I.e. the structure of the fence and the bark of the tree. For whatever reason, these distract my eyes to linger on these details.

In no 3, I keep following the legs, trying to find out, whether he got his feet wet or not during shooting. Unfortunately, they're not in the exposure.

Personally, I like no. 6 the best. Your grandson seems to be more relaxed there, than during the other exposures.

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia
Thank you both for the comments. Regarding the boots, he instructed me to be sure they were in the frame. They're his favorites. :)

I will read this again when I'm at my computer and can absorb the suggestions.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

…then, after the boots it will be the jeans?

I think the subject is at ease in his environment… rightfully!

What I would suggest is a different approach in terms of tonal taming

as these soft renditions would possibly be more flattering for a girl…
a guy would maybe go more for solid tones.

…just me! :P

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

…then, after the boots it will be the jeans?

I think the subject is at ease in his environment… rightfully!

What I would suggest is a different approach in terms of tonal taming
as these soft renditions would possibly be more flattering for a girl…
a guy would maybe go more for solid tones.

…just me! :P

Thank you for the comments. These were taken late on a typical day on the farm. He's actually quite presentable considering what he sometimes looks like. :)

I agree on the rendering. I actually had to lighten and soften quite a bit for this effect. However, these are for his mom more than him. He didn't really want to do this at all. Still waiting on mom's comments to determine whether to go back the other way.