Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

macOS Photos nrw support

macos photos raw nrw

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

PollieKrismis

PollieKrismis

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi All

I'm having issues viewing nrw files in Photos on my Mac (Mojave v10.14). The pictures were taken with a P1000.

I used ExifRenamer to rename the files copied directly off the SD Card to my Mac. (Nikon Transfer 2 kept on crashing and was very slow in copying the files.)

Capture NX-D is able to open and view the renamed image so it does not seem to be an issue caused by ExifRenamer or the manual copy off the SD Card.

Importing the renamed files causes Photos to display a grey triangle with an exclamation mark for all nrw files. The jpg ones import and display fine. My camera is set to save files in raw only and in birding mode in jpg only.

I would prefer to manipulate the nrw files in Photos as it would simplify my workflow. I'm also a beginner so don't expect to do much manipulation but like the fact that I can alter the images as I get better at it.

There does not seem to be a codec for the Mac. From other forums it seems nef and nrw is supported by Photos.

Am I missing something? 

Thanks for the help

Paul

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

Surprised that no one has responded to your question.  I don't use a Mac so I had to look this up and I don't know if it will provide the answer you want.

NRW File - What is an .nrw file and how do I open it?

the following programs open NRW files.

Mac

Adobe Photoshop Elements 2019 Nikon ViewNX Nikon ViewNX2 Google Picasa MacPhun ColorStrokes Adobe Photoshop CC 2019

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
Mac OS does not yet support your camera.

https://support.appl.../en-us/HT208967

I am afraid you'll have to wait for a system update. Apple used to update camera raw support via a standalone updater, but since Sierra you now have to update the OS to get new camera support.

PollieKrismis

PollieKrismis

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for the feedback everyone...

(I should have check this before starting to take pictures as setting it to RAW and JPEG would have saved me lots of extra work until such time as they support the new format.)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

You can do the raw conversion in NX-D and export to tiff and then do further manipulation in Photos if you need to. If you have the raw files to be converted in the same folder, you can select all you want to convert and then export them as a batch. If you don't change anything, NX-D will just apply the in-camera settings on export. If you want to change some settings, this can be done either individually or as a batch as well.

PollieKrismis

PollieKrismis

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for the tip Peter,

I've been holding off curating my P1000 albums as I do not know how Photos would handle the NRW files once it becomes supported.

I used NX-D to convert all my NRW images to JPG and then imported the JPG images into the same photo library that had the NRW images. I was hoping that it would see that the name is the same and then just hide the NRW behind the JPG image like it normally does. However it shows it as two images. One JPG image and one triangle/warning image.

I did not consider changing the NRW images to another supported raw format which might be a better interim solution.

Regards

Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: macos, photos raw nrw