Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D850 won't fire once in a while

d850 intermittent

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

BrianPix

BrianPix

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

I wanted to post this problem in case someone else starts having the same issues with the Nikon D850 not firing.

I purchased the D850 in April, 2018. Ever since I've owned it, it has a problem with not firing once in a while, maybe 1 out of every 80 shots. I have it set to fire when the camera is in focus and when it is not in focus. If I'm doing headshots, I'll be photographing a person using a PocketWizard on my hot shoe to fire the flash. As I keep taking one photo after another with about 5-10 seconds in between shots, there will inevitably be one shot that won't fire even though I pressed the shutter button. But the problem is so intermittent that it is difficult to troubleshoot. The problem isn't just limited to headshots using a flash, it also happens when I am out capturing a nature scene without flash.

Please note that I use the AF-ON button on the back of the camera to focus on my subject and don't use the shutter button to focus.

When the problem just happened yesterday, I had taken 69 photos with some blurred intentionally and others in focus and on the 70th shot, while keeping the subject in focus, it wouldn't fire while I was pressing the shutter button. And after I released the shutter button, it fired 2 seconds later even though all the other shots before that shot and after that shot fired right away when I pressed the shutter button.

The problem still happens when I use different memory cards such as the Lexar SD 32GB 600x card or the Sony XQD R:400mb/s W:400mb/s 32GB card. 

Does anyone have any idea for a solution before I send it in to Nikon Professional Services for warranty repair? Thanks.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City
When the problem just happened yesterday, I had taken 69 photos with some blurred intentionally and others in focus and on the 70th shot, while keeping the subject in focus, it wouldn't fire while I was pressing the shutter button. And after I released the shutter button, it fired 2 seconds later even though all the other shots before that shot and after that shot fired right away when I pressed the shutter button.

I don't own a D850 so this may be totally 'off the wall' but from your description this sounds like a buffer issue to me. In any case, I think I'd contact Nikon and see what they have to say about it. If you're registered Nikon Pro I'd go through them.

--Ron

BrianPix

BrianPix

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for sharing, Ron. I'm not sure how the buffer could be the problem unless it's the part of the camera where it's writing the data to the card. If I'm waiting 5-10 seconds in between shots, that should be plenty of time for the buffer to reset to 0. It should easily handle over 20 shots in a row while machine gunning it on CH but I never rapid fire with this camera. I was thinking it was my SD card that could've been the problem so I switched it to the Sony XQD and still had the same problem that only happens once about every 80 shots.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I don't think the buffer…

Check if you set up SR release upon focus confirmation.

kane

kane

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I used to think i had thiis problem to and i use Backbutton focus. Try to be aware the exact time it does not fire check where your left hand is. I thought it was the rear button delaying or not firing at all then i would click it again and it would shoot fine. I noticed without knowing it that my left hand had touched slightly the AFS-S/C press button or the lens release button, either caused my camera not to fire, when it didnt fire i would move my left hand position and thus it fired fine. I dont get the issue anymore once i realised and was more aware of my left hand position. On my D800 i dont get it as its a lot stiffer to make either work, wtih D850 its an easier press 100%.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d850, intermittent