Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tripod para-wraps

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

zener

zener

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag

Does anyone else play with knots & parachute cord?  I got this idea after seeing Merc's leg warmers.

I wanted to try posting my first photo on the forum and make sure my image size & image host site all jive, so I thought I’d show you all my knotless paracord handle wrap I just did on my new / used tripod with fluid head (which I’m VERY impressed with, by the way, especially for the video cam).

Around 22 feet per leg - 550 cord with the inner strands stripped out so it will stretch out and lay flat.  Makes for a comfortable grip, and keeps things from sliding if you carry them on your shoulder.

I have these grips in different colors on my shovels, hoe, lawn mower handle, ax, machete, cheater bars, and Maglites, and they work great.  I don’t think I’ve had one come loose.

I guess I could have gotten them more even, but this was a trial run anyway.  I may change this to a different color and do the full tube.  This took about two dollars worth of rope.

Sorry for the crappy photos, I'm an amateur.  Maybe I could have gotten better ones if I could have used my tripod  :rolleyes: .

Cheers  ~Zen~

edRHeno.jpg

s5n5rjZ.jpg

brad10281

brad10281

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMichigan
Any chance you can explain the process? How do you start and end it so it doesn't come unraveled?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

zener

zener

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag

Brad, the end point is the tricky part, to get the end under & tight like the 2nd pic, and there are too many steps to try to describe.  I got it from a paracord book with pictures and step by step directions.  The whole wrap has to be fully tight and stretched for it to work, and it takes some practice.

There are probably online tutorials by now that you could may find, and there are several fancier wraps too.  If you don't find it, let me know and I'll get you the book title/author. It's a great wrap if you work with paracord.

brad10281

brad10281

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMichigan
You're right, I'm sure there's plenty of tutorials online. I'll check it out. Thanks for sharing, I like this idea.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Looking darn good but I'm sure other solutions

are much lighter… like the leg warmers! :P

zener

zener

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag

Yes, I hope you learn it.  It's a great wrap, and works great on the tripod, among other things.  If you're doing weddings & pro shoots, you could wrap with straight black or silver.  Other than that, there are hundreds of colors and patterns. 

Here it is on a couple of vintage Maglites.  Old pics from my Nikon L610.

l9bb564.jpg

sGw2vcA.jpg

Nikon Shooter, you could wrap it with duct tape, or electrical tape with the white letters.  Will look nice at the next wedding.

It is almost weightless, especially with the inner strands stripped out.  I even considered just doing an 6 or 8 inch hand grip toward the top, but you wouldn't get the grip factor on your shoulder.