Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Trouble using the viewfinder with prime lenses

focus autofocus prime lens

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

cdonovan

cdonovan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello all, first post here.

I have a D5300, takes great photos, and I'm keen to use prime lenses more for low lighting and so forth. However, when I use a prime lens (eg NIKKOR AF-S 50mm f1/8G), I have trouble using the viewfinder to check the focus.

I will look through the viewfinder and the subject is in the centre of the frame (where the AF point is) and in focus. When I half press the shutter in M/A, it goes out of focus! However, the photos come out clean and clear. I've tried fiddling with the diopter eye thing, but no joy. When I switch the lens to M, and put the subject in focus through the viewfinder, it comes out blurry in the photo.

What am I doing wrong? It is the same in different shooting modes (auto, A, S).

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I did do a search but didn't find anything - feel free to point me at another thread if it's been done.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello,

Based on your description I would also have guessed in first place a problem with the diopter, because it seems that the alignment with the camera sensor is fine, so the misalignment occurs once the incoming light has been reflected by the mirror.

However, what puzzles me is that the title of the topic suggests that it occurs only with prime lenses (i.e. works fine with other lenses). Can you please confirm?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: focus, autofocus, prime lens