Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AF/M lens and camera AF/M setting confusion focus lens ring

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

jpere8

jpere8

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
So I get that the best option for my Nikon D7000 is one of the following.

1. set AF on lens and AF on camera then turn on camera.
2. set M on lens and M on camera then turn on camera

Never do:
3. Set camera to AF and set the lens to M. This may cause damage to the camera itself.

What I don’t know:
4. Set camera to M and leave lens on AF. Since the camera is on M, I’m guessing the connection or power to control lens is not on so it’s treatinf the lens as if it was on M. This would not harm the lens or camera?

+++++++++ focus ring Q. ++++++++++
So my other question is regarding the lens focus rings and the scenarios above.

1. When both on AF (Camera and lens) . Can I move the lens focus ring and does it actually do anything? In this scenario, is it bad for the camera or lens to do this? My initial thought is that it’s still allowing me to do a manual override in this setting and it’s ok to do?

2. When both on MF. AF (Camera and lens) . I take it this is when you use the lens focus ring.

3. Based on the fact I would do damage to the camera itself by having lens on M and camera on AF, the lens ring shouldn’t even be talked about here since this scenario would and should be avoided

4. If this scenario is not ok, then it would be like scenario 3 and I should avoid it. However if this is ok. Then I take it this is when I could still use the ring to manual focun on the lens.

Thanks in advance!