Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help! Beginner struggling with stock photography issue

studio lighting amateur stock clothing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

richronniecross@gmail.

richronniecross@gmail.

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi everyone, 

Firstly, although I have had a keen interest in photography for many many years, I by no means consider myself a 'photographer' nor do I pretend to be. It's a hobby. 

My day job is in the field of Special Needs education. I am currently working on a project developing teaching resources. 

I am taking photographs of clothing. Basically Stock Photography. I don't know the vocabulary to explain my issue correctly, however I will try:

The collar of the cardigan (in the attached picture) is not crisp against the white background. It is very soft, akin to aperture 'drop off' (made up term). Also there is some strange discolouration in this area also, like a 'halo effect'.

The bottom of the cardigan is fine. 

Does anyone know what this is, and more importantly how to avoid it?

The photo needs to be very simple and basic, non-stylised.

My settings are: 50, 7.1, 200 - D800 - Tripod. I have also attached a photo of how my lights are set up. There is also ambient light in the room.

The only editing I have done on the photo is straightening it, and using the heal tool to remove some hairs and dust.

If any one can help I would be very grateful

Best

Rich

Attached Thumbnails

• CARDIGAN PS EDIT.jpg
  • IMG_0835.JPG

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I would suggest the light sources are too hot.

Trim them down to close by a stop or two to

make sure of no halo and process as needed.

You should do well with only two lights.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

On top of what's already mentioned, the "aperture dropoff" you describe could be some chromatic aberrations. This usually occurs between areas of high contrast. You are already shooting at f7.1 which will help alleviate it some.

There is a tool in Lightroom/ACR that should help remove it, if that is what it is.

Can you give us a 100% crop of the collar?

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Does the background absolutely have to be pure white? With that background you're throwing an awful lot of light right back at the camera lens.

I think I would try shooting with a flat gray background, to begin with, and see how that works. I also agree about the number of lights.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Is the lens axis perpendicular to the white surface? If it isn't, your focus plane will be tilted and part of the flat product will be out of critical focus. It might well be within the DOF, but it will not be as crisp as other parts of the product.

Apart from that, I agree with the previous posters that you have some haloing because of too much light reflected from the white background.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Btw Ronnie, this is called "product" photography! :P

simonall-action

simonall-action

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

what camera and lens are you using ?  

what focus mode ? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: studio, lighting, amateur, stock, clothing