Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon D200 DSLR alternatives

d200

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

viki

viki

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
For the last 5 years I have shot with my D200. Absolutely love that camera. I've mostly used it for shooting sports, wildlife and car shows. At my sons last football game it died. The mirror stays up and LCD reads Error. Ive been told it's not worth fixing. People said the same thing about my AMC Gremlin... jk. Capturing key moments in my kids life has made it a part of the family. So before I tear up like a scene from Old Yeller, I need a lil advice. Can some one tell me what camera is best at:

1. crappy weather condition
2. a user who is a lil rough on his stuff 
3. best for "friday night lights" low light high speed action, but good for close ups and candids
4. as simple to use as the D200
5. compatible with my old lenses 
6. I'm not saying money is no object, but (remember the aforementioned Gremlin) i can't get too carried away. 

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Number 6... (sigh)

Can you give us a ball park figure?

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

--Ron

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
D300 used... Cheap, noticeably better than D200.

D7200... Current middle tier. Better performer than above.

D500... True current successor to Dxxx line, and a sports/wildlife king

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Don't forget the D300s. It has a slightly bigger buffer, a bit more DR and the noise gets unbearable at about one stop higher ISO than the D300.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

In the current DX lineup, nothing beats the D500 for sports.  A D7200 would be my second choice in the DX line for sports.  

You don't indicate what lenses you currently have...If you have DX lenses then you will probably want to stay DX, but if you consider moving to full frame, a used D4 (or higher) might also provide you with what you are looking for.  

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I see where Nikon, and it's authorized dealers are selling the D500, D750, and D810 at super low prices. They're also throwing in battery grips with the deal.

The D500 that Sportz Guy mentioned is going for $1795US. That's a smokin' deal! The D750 is even cheaper. Way cheaper! Heck, I'm even tempted! LOL

--Ron

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

For the last 5 years I have shot with my D200. Absolutely love that camera. I've mostly used it for shooting sports, wildlife and car shows. At my sons last football game it died. The mirror stays up and LCD reads Error. Ive been told it's not worth fixing. People said the same thing about my AMC Gremlin... jk. Capturing key moments in my kids life has made it a part of the family. So before I tear up like a scene from Old Yeller, I need a lil advice. Can some one tell me what camera is best at:

1. crappy weather condition
2. a user who is a lil rough on his stuff 
3. best for "friday night lights" low light high speed action, but good for close ups and candids
4. as simple to use as the D200
5. compatible with my old lenses 
6. I'm not saying money is no object, but (remember the aforementioned Gremlin) i can't get too carried away. 

Hello Viki,  I am thinking that since you really liked your Nikon D200 and it was a stellar performer for you, why not purchase another one?  I have two Nikon D200s because I believed there was something wrong with the first one I purchased.  Turned out there was nothing wrong with it and of course I found that out after I purchased the second one.  I continue to monitor the prices on this body and noticed that KEH consistently offers the best price out there along with a 14 day no hassle return policy along with a 180 day warranty.  The first D200 I purchased from someone through Craigslist and it is still performing quite well.  The second one I purchased from KEH and shortly after I received it, there was a problem with the shutter sticking.  I called KEH right away and they immediately issued a shipping label and within one day the body was on its way back to KEH.  Upon receiving the body, they immediately sent out a replacement D200 body and also no shipping charges for me.  Just as a measure of goodwill, KEH also issued a credit amount to my credit card.  The first D200 I purchased from Craigslist has over 95,000 actuations, the first one I purchased from KEH had just over 48,000 actuations and the one that KEH sent to replace the first one has just over 28,000 actuations.  I am a happy camper.  :))

Best regards,

Tony

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

A D200 replacement is not a bad thought, but it is not what I would recommend for "low light high speed action" compared to the other options mentioned...

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

To:  Mr. Viki,

Just as an FYI, I was recently on KEH's website and they are now providing a one year warranty and a 14 day no hassle return policy.

I have to say that in my 40 odd years in photography, once in a while or (once in a great while) I have found a camera body (film or DSLR) that feels like a perfect fit and weight.  That is how I feel about the D200 and I cannot thank Peter enough for suggesting this fine Nikon product.

Thanks for reading and I do hope this helps.

TT

Kelly Qualls

Kelly Qualls

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDallas

I shot with the D200 for years, and upgraded to a D500. 10 frames per second, and a huge buffer, it is a sports champ. Love this camera. I'd recommend it. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d200