Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What are good settings to shoot a Concert with ( I will have total Accsess to the Artist) Also using a D3100

concert music action shots

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Norvell

Norvell

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouthfield, MI

I shoot a lot of concerts and lately my shots seem terrible if feel it is a combination of me and I think I have out Grown my camera D3100!

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
What lenses are you using and what exposure settings? Can you also post some pics?
Go to the Gallery section here and look at my .38 Special at Epcot pics. Is this the type of thing you want to do?

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

About my experience of concert shooting. There is always not enough light. So use all what you can to fix it. I mean use high iSO, use minimal F value, set long exposure time, but not so long to get motion blur. Light on concert always change and change quickly. It is hard to predict when it will turn on or turn off, so use serial shooting. If you have a possibility to come close to the scene than try to use a lens with wider angle to avoid motion blur.

It's what I could remember aout concert shooting. I hope it would help you.

Gump85

Gump85

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Country Flag

Check out these ratings comparisons. This may help you decide if its time to upgrade equipment. Years ago, I was using a 70-200mm VR lens from nikon. It had variable aperture. I used to use it on my Nikon D300 and found I could never get crisp shots of indoor sporting venues...ghosting and out of focus images. Gave away that lens to my son and bought a 70-200mm sigma f2.8 and started using a tripod and suddenly, more light meant better images. Since then I have started shooting with the full frame D600 and images are sharper than my D300 (in a variety of shooting environments) .

I used DxO mark when I was researching which camera to buy

here's the link:

Sensors Database - DXOMARK

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

What lenses are you using and what exposure settings? Can you also post some pics?
Go to the Gallery section here and look at my .38 Special at Epcot pics. Is this the type of thing you want to do?

Norvell, you around?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Some examples of the problem photos and what lens / settings you are using would definitely help.  If I remember back to the 80s when I was doing a number of concerts and shows, I shot wide open unless I needed DOF for a group or something.  Most shots were of individual band members.  There's more light than you think with most stage lighting.  The surrounding darkness can fool your meter.  If you are shooting in Program mode, that is most likely the problem.

Post up the info and we can probably give you some good recommendations.  A quick and simple one is to take a few photos during the first song, review them on your LCD screen and adjust to be sure you have the settings you want. 

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

I think he might be a drive-by poster.

Norvell

Norvell

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouthfield, MI

Will be posting picks soon the are done and they were good because of the lighting!!!!! I shot a band at a poorly lit area and go terible picks

here is a link to the concert picks I hve to make them smaller so I can fit more in  . . . Concert Shots Good and Bad - Gallery - NikonForums.com

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

What are the settings you were using on each of the shots?  The first two are not poorly lit, they appear to be poorly exposed which is why I'm asking the question...

What lens were you using with the D3100?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: concert, music, action shots