Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

CLS remote query

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

ebt

ebt

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, I have a D750 and an SB-700 with a plan to get another SB-700.

Couple of queries please, if I may ?

1/ With the D750 in Commander Mode, is it mandatory to have the cameras built in flash raised to trigger the remote flashlights ?

2/ If it is not mandatory to have it raised, can I raise it and use it as a "fill flash" ?

3/ If it is mandatory to be raised to trigger the remote flashlights, can it be "effectively" switched to very low power so as not to interfere with the exposure ?

Many thanks and please excuse my ignorance.

.............ebt :huh:

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,633 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

You need the pop-up flash up to control AWL.

You can set the pop-up to TTL, manual or -- while in AWL commander mode. The last one won't contribute much to the overall exposure. If you want to be sure that residual light from the preflash isn't visible, you need the SG-31R light shield.

AWL isn't *that* good, a TTL radio system is easier to use as the AWL system is dependent of line of sight when setting things up. It might be worth investigating the cost of a Godox transmitter, a receiver for your SB-700 and a Godox Ving V860II instead of a second SB-700, or perhaps even selling the SB-700 and getting a pair of V860II units with a transmitter.

ebt

ebt

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

You need the pop-up flash up to control AWL.

You can set the pop-up to TTL, manual or -- while in AWL commander mode. The last one won't contribute much to the overall exposure. If you want to be sure that residual light from the preflash isn't visible, you need the SG-31R light shield.

AWL isn't *that* good, a TTL radio system is easier to use as the AWL system is dependent of line of sight when setting things up. It might be worth investigating the cost of a Godox transmitter, a receiver for your SB-700 and a Godox Ving V860II instead of a second SB-700, or perhaps even selling the SB-700 and getting a pair of V860II units with a transmitter.

Thanks Merco_61. I do understand the limitations of line of site of the CLS system.

Which radio set would you recommend that carries full TTL info to the SB-700 ?

Thanks again.................ebt

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,633 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I would go with the Godox X1-N kit. It isn't the cheapest there is, but easy to use and expands easily with the i-TTL compatible speedlights and strobes from Godox.

The XPRO transmitter is even easier to use, but it is expensive compared to the X1-TN.