Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Prime vs. Zoom

lens prime zoom

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

sarandipity

sarandipity

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm new to Nikon and looking at getting a d610. Wondering which combination of lenses would be the best starting out - the f1.8 series (28, 50, 85) or one of those and a 24-70 2.8 zoom? Want something wide for close quarter indoor shooting and something for walk around, but the 85 1.8 is gorgeous and you just don't get that in one of the zooms. Suggestions? 

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
Get the 85mm prime and learn the lens. It sounds like a great lens. I have a 50mm f/1.8 and I could probably do everything I want to do with just that one lens, it's that good.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Get the 85mm prime and learn the lens. It sounds like a great lens. I have a 50mm f/1.8 and I could probably do everything I want to do with just that one lens, it's that good.

Interesting when you say 'learn the lens' Alden. I have Nikon AF-S 35mm 1:18g and one recomendation I read was to put this on my camera and use for three months.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

Interesting when you say 'learn the lens' Alden. I have Nikon AF-S 35mm 1:18g and one recomendation I read was to put this on my camera and use for three months.

That's right. Everyone is all in a fever to collect as many lenses as they can just because... they can! It's more important to get one or two, maybe three really high quality lenses, and just learn to use them. 

But start with just one, a 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, are all good choices, and once you learn how to really use the camera and that lens to the greatest advantage, then move on to another lens. 

Actually, many famous photographers always shoot/shot with the one lens. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I agree - every lens takes some getting used to...learning to use each takes time and each require at least a little something different from the photographer.  I picked up a 1.4 teleconverter a few weeks ago and have noticed a difference in using a lens I was already VERY comfortable with...adding the teleconverter I see differences in how I can use the same lens more effectively...I mentioned at one point in another post that I had been trying out various lenses as I am in need of a longer reach lens.  I found that I needed to use a lens for more than one event in order to really START to learn what it can do for me.  Understand that I'm not saying I had it down, just that after 1000 or so images, I was starting to be able to use it more effectively.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I would get the 24-85 bundled lens with the D610 and shoot with that for a while just to see what focal lengths you use the most before getting the 28 and 50 mm lenses if you are not used to a FX body.

The 24-70 is a large and heavy beast on such a light and compact body, but a magnificent piece of glass.

The 85/1.8 is a nobrainer, get it and use it.

I personally like a small, light set of primes and often use a 24/2.8, a 35/2 and a 85/1.8 or 105/2.5 AI on the D700.

If I want the versatility of a zoom I use a Tamron 28-75/2.8 because it is so much lighter than the nikon.

Brazeal

Brazeal

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

I have the D610, and I found some good deals on a Tamron 24-70 VC and Tamron 70-200 VC, so that is what I chose to start with.  Coming from Pentax and focusing mostly on portraits and some landscape photography, I chose these two lenses for the IQ and the versatility of the zooms.  I walked around this weekend for 4 hours with the D610 on a sling with the 24-70 attached, and I had the 70-200 in a camera bag on my other side.  Weight was not a problem, and it's nice to be able to cover such a large FL range with just the 2 lenses.  The Tamron 24-70 is not big and heavy in my opinion.  The Tamron 70-200 VC, on the other hand, is a big chunk of glass, but it is still manageable.  I think these two Tamrons are great bangs for the buck as compared to the Nikons, and I picked up both lenses for about the price of just the Nikon 70-200 VRII.  I also plan on picking up the Nikon 85 1.8G soon.

ashchuckton

ashchuckton

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOhio USA

When I started out there were no zoom lenses. Yes it was a long time ago. I'd recommend starting with a 50mm f1.8D, very inexpensive & a more useful focal length as a all around lens. Like has been said learn it & then move on to the next lens you need. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lens, prime, zoom