Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Remote shutter release

remote shutter release

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Mustang100

Mustang100

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi there....I tried to use a remote shutter release the other day and could not get it to work.  Could it be because my Nikon is set to Back button focus? And if it is ...is there anyway to get BBF to work  with the remote shutter release?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What body, what shutter release? Have you tried cleaning the contacts? The focusing mode should not matter, even if the release mode can lock things up on some bodies. Release priority is safer with a remote release.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi there....I tried to use a remote shutter release the other day and could not get it to work.  Could it be because my Nikon is set to Back button focus? And if it is ...is there anyway to get BBF to work  with the remote shutter release?

It should work even in BBF… just prefocus and then 

switch off the AF making sure the subject nor the ca-

mera will move at all… otherwise, OoF guarantied!

Mustang100

Mustang100

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

HI ... D7200 ...remote shutter is new generic mc/dc2. The remote works on the Nikon 3300 ....which does not have BBF Focus enabled.

It should work even in BBF… just prefocus and then 

switch off the AF making sure the subject nor the ca-

mera will move at all… otherwise, OoF guarantied!

Hi ...probably a stupid question ..but when you say ''switch of the AF"... you mean switching the lens to MF?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Do you use AF-S or AF-C?

In single-shot AF, the default is focus priority. This means that the shutter won't fire unless the AF has acquired focus. In the continuous focus mode, the default is release priority where the shutter will fire without having acquired focus.

One of the nice things with using BBF is that you can safely leave the camera in AF-C as you can release the focus button whenever you like and the AF turns off.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

when you say ''switch of the AF"... you mean switching the lens to MF?

Yup! :P

Mustang100

Mustang100

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

HI ..its set to AFC - CH

Yup! :P

I have switched the lens and the D7200 to MF - separately and together and the remote will still not work :(

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Sounds like there is something up with the tolerances in the contact on either camera or remote. Can you borrow another remote from somebody?

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Sounds like there is something up with the tolerances in the contact on either camera or remote. Can you borrow another remote from somebody?

+1

… maybe not a third party unit!

Mustang100

Mustang100

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

I tried with my Neewer wireless remote and selected the Remote Control ML-L3 Mode in the photo shooting options - and that now works perfect .... The remote cable worked on my D3300 but still not able to get it working the D7200 - will buy a new one and try it again

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: remote shutter release