Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikkor extention tube v Cropped image

cropped images v ex tube

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

RFC7

RFC7

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Question:

Can someone wiser than I please explain the difference/advantage/disadvantage when deciding which of the following 4 options would provide the sharpest images?

Nikon D850 with 80-200 f2.8 VR lens ( let's say the iso is adjusted to always allow shots at f8 at 250th) using the same subject test shots at max zoom using the following options.

Please do not make ref to noise when posting your answer as I am aware it will vary.

Shot 1 using Standard set-up as above using camera and lens on FX, ( Check result at 100% crop)

Shot 2     "             "                   "                   "                       "         DX, ( "           "           "          "     )

Shot 3     "             "       ( adding Nikkor 1.4 Mk 3 extention-tube)   FX   ( "           "           "          "    )

Shot 4     "             "                   "                  "                "                 DX  ( "           "           "          "     )

What I am trying to establish here is whether, using today's top-end equipment, there is an advantage in using an

extension tube over just cropping the original image?

NB: I have loved the transition through the years from (Nikon f2 with black and white film) to today's digital world, but am somewhat confused with the above situation as the goalposts are so must wider apart, and higher !! these days.....

P.S. have just acquired the new Nikon 200-500 zoom lens ready for Safari trip to Kenya next month, so the above questions could also relate to this piece of equipment. 

RFC7

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

An extension tube will allow you to focus closer and thus achieve higher magnification, which in turn increases the resolution of the final product.  As long as you're able to focus stack to get the correct depth of field, this technique should always deliver superior results than cropping at the expense of time, IMO.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

First, what version of the 70-200VR do you mean? They differ in how well they work with the TC-14E III. If you mean the third version, it is so well matched to the current TC-14 that the results will be better than cropping. If you mean the first version of the lens, cropping will work better as the TC will worsen the already prominent sharpness falloff and vignetting on FX of that lens. The second version isn't quite as well matched to the TC-14, but I think it will still beat cropping.

If the light is marginal for your f/8, 1/250 exposure you can't leave the ISO related noise out as one stop higher ISO will impact the perceived sharpness more than adding a well-matched TC does, skewing things in favour of the crop.

Why do you call a teleconverter an extension tube? they are very different accessories.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Why do you call a teleconverter an extension tube? they are very different accessories.

+1 zillion!