Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Zoom Lens suggestions for a Nikon D5600

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

zener

zener

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi folks, I'm a new member, and have been enjoying reading many of the interesting & informative threads. I just got a new Nikon D5600, with included 18 – 55mm lens.  I’ve been using Nikon point and shoot cameras (Cool Pix 2100, and L610) since I gave up film around 15 years ago.  Considering the 3 times higher price tag, my initial shots didn’t seem to warrant the extra $$, but I’m starting to get better.  I know I’m going to have to work at it, and I’ve been trying to read up on the different lenses and camera settings.  I have a long way to go, but I’ve only had it for a few days.  I just found the forum here, and have been trying to learn all I can.  I have always liked my small Nikon cameras, and have gotten some surprisingly good photos with them.

I’ve read many of the lens threads, and still have a few questions, so I thought I’d try to describe my needs and get some suggestions.  I have no problem with eventually investing in several lenses, but since I just got the camera, I can’t spend too much.  I’m looking for my first zoom lens for bird  / wildlife shots.

I take lots of outdoor / nature / landscape / sky / sunset / bird shots, as well as close ups of smaller indoor items such as pocket knives / coins / guitars, and would like to eventually try some night / moon / stars photos.  So while looking up lenses, I see that I can easily spend from $80 to $8600 on a single lens.  I know you probably get what you pay for in many regards, but I don’t have access to a camera store, or any way to try things out, so I plan to try one or two lower end lenses for now.

I was comparing a Nikon 70 – 300mm, f4-5.6, and a similar Tamron lens, that both seem to be available in the $125 range.  A few questions, for anyone who may want to answer some or all:

1. How important is Vibration Reduction, for daytime shots in general?  I don’t mind using a tri pod sometimes, but not 100% of the time.
  2. How big of a pain is it if Auto Focus is not compatible?  My camera book says compatible with AF-S, AF-P, AF-I … so I guess I have to look for that spec to know if AF will work with my model?
  3. How much difference is there in 200 or 300mm at the top end, for a general purpose lens?
  4. I realize that in this price range they’ll likely be plastic, and not pro level or heavy duty, but if anyone has any preference for the Nikon vs. Tamron or other brands, or knows of issues to stay away from, please let me know … I’m brand new to this style of camera.
  5. Any idea how much more $$ I’d be looking at for a decent lens that has VR and is AF compatible to the D5600?
  6. I’ve only just ran onto a thread about calibrating with programs, TAP, etc.  I know nothing about it.  Is this something I’m going to have to learn and do with any lens I buy?  Would using the Nikon brand lens eliminate the need do the calibration process?

Hope that’s not too much.  I almost just ordered one out of the blue, but I figured I would look to the forums for advice & suggestions first – from the folks who use them.  I’ve done well with forums / message boards in other areas.  Thanks in advance!

JT

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
VR is important... especially on slower telephoto lenses. If you want to keep the price low, the current Nikon 55-200 VRII is excellent optically, and can be had new for $150. It's not as long as a 70-300 VR, but a third of the price.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Whatever affordable tele zoom you get, you will always want more reach for birds and wildlife. The 55-200 Scott recommends above is a good bridge between your normal zoom and a long telezoom. You will probably get a 200-500 or one of the 150-600 offerings from the third-party manufacturers as soon as funds permit if birding i your thing.

VR is really valuable as long as you shoot handheld. Remember that the old rule of thumb that you can handhold ~1/your focal length is very old and film didn't reveal blur nearly as well as a digital sensor. Unless you have the hands and technique of a marksman, the rule should be 1/1.8X focal length or so on DX without VR.

zener

zener

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for the info folks.  Yes, that 55 - 200mm with VR looks like a better option for the budget I'm currently working with.  I'm glad I asked.

Does anyone know if I need to be concerned with gray market lenses?  I purposely made sure I got the camera from a US supplier so that I'd have the Nikon warranty.  It sure seems like prices are all over the place for the same lens or camera from one supplier to another.

JT

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

You could look at this one, make sure you match the letters as they do a none VR one which you dont want.

Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR:

The trouble with gray is you are not backed by Nikon, the lens is just the same but your warranty is only with the seller.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

anyone know if I need to be concerned with gray market lenses?

Nikon won't service grey market products.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Personally, I would make sure that whatever lens you get comes with a Nikon USA warranty.

As others have mentioned, Nikon will not even touch a gray market product. You'd be on your own if you ever need service.

--Ron

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I agree VR is important, but...

To expand on what Peter said, if you are shooting with a tripod or a monopod or if you are shoot using high shutter speeds, VR won't really provide any benefit.  Not suggesting a non-VR version, just trying to provide more understanding...

I fully agree with staying away from any gray market Nikon gear - probably anyone's gear but you are more likely to find gray market from the camera manufacturers...I also agree with the suggestion of a 55-200 as your next option...You will eventually want to go longer - especially if you want to shoot birds and wildlife and you may also decide to look at a macro lens if you want to shoot close-ups of pocket knives or coins.  Sunsets, astrophotography, landscapes are going to be mostly at the wider end which you have covered for now with the 18-55...

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

i would go with 70-300mm vr or 55-200mm vr since great learning lenses. what is you top end budget. what is most willing to pay. since with true dollar amount can give way better choice. tamron does have 70-300mm none vr macro lens but slow to auto-focus. i own it will only use for macro or micro what ever you call it. but vr 70-300mm way better built and quality to tamron macro or mirco 70-300mm. also what merco_61 said about  You will probably get a 200-500 or one of the 150-600 offerings from the third-party manufacturers as soon as funds permit if birding i your thing. good thing too. once you get near budget for 200-500mm or 150-600mm i would got out and try lens out or rent to see if fix your needs. love my first gen tamron 150-600mm. great fast auto-focusing but not as  fast as nikon first gen 70-200mm. plan ahead make budget for other lenses down line. you find once get one new lens you get bug to want to get more lenses too. 

zener

zener

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for all of the info, folks.  Yes, I agree that later on I'll likely want a 150 - 600mm.  For now, I think the 55 - 200mm looks like it will work well for now, especially if I can get one for around $150.

Does anyone have any suggestions for suppliers who may have the best prices?  I got a good deal on the camera from Adorama, but their lens prices seem high.

JT

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
Nikon has officially had that lens on sale for $149 ($200 off) for years. It would appear that has recently changed.

That certainly impacts my recommendation as at 149 it is a steal, but at 349 not so much.

I saw some on eBay but dunno if gray market, and I'm betting prices go up soon.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

B&H is reputable and probably has as good a price as any store.

Adam - do you still have a link that gives some back to the site?  I seem to recall you had one at some point...

zener

zener

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag

Yes, it's looking like the price of the 55-200 VRii is up on a lot of sites, discontinued or out of stock on others.  I may end up going for the 70-300 VR after all, and looking into refurbished or used ones as well.

I'm thinking those cheaper ones on the auction sites are gray market.  I'm trying to find out, but it seems most of those camera suppliers in NY are closed for a week for the Jewish Holiday.  I may not completely rule out a gray market item for something like a low end lens.  Camera no, lens maybe.

JT

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

go with b&H photo since free shipping and no tax if out side of ny or nj. if have prime go with amazon then since get in 2 days.