Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

P1000 manual focus

p1000 manual focus

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Adrena1in

Adrena1in

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi all, first post here.

Recently picked up a Coolpix P1000, upgraded from a B700. Been getting on okay with it so far, learning all its features, but last night I started having problems with it while taking some moon and Mars photos, and wondered if anyone else had noticed the same thing.

For handheld at 3000mm I find the dial on the back of the camera a little awkward for manually focusing, so I decided to try the zoom button on the left side of the lens body instead. (Why Nikon don't make the dial actually around the lens a focus dial is a strange one. Seems like an obvious focus ring to me.)

Anyway, I had Mars in sight, and pressing the left zoom up/down button to focus, I noticed the focus bar on the right side of the display slowly creeping up towards the infinity marker, only to suddenly jump down again. It kept doing this, over and over, and I never achieved focus. Reverting to using the dial on the back of the camera it allowed me to focus fine. The Mars shots were rubbish, but at least the moon photos were okay. Once I learn to shoot and edit RAW I'm sure they'll be a bit better.

Is this a fault with my P1000 maybe? At one point last night the camera simply stopped responding altogether while I was using it. No buttons were doing anything, so I had to switch it off and on again.

Thanks,
Tim.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0109~3.JPG