Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Approaching potential models

street photography portrait

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

I was out for a lunchtime photo walk today and came across a woman having her lunch in the city square. Thought she had an interesting face and was wearing a black headscarf. I smiled and asked if she minded if I took her picture.

She asked what it was for so I was honest and just told her that I was just doing it as a hobby and thought she looked interesting. I managed to get 2 shots off (wish I'd taken more).

I wonder if anyone would like to share their experiences of approaching potential models.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

People seem more comfortable when you are with someone, as it looks less imposing or creepy if you're by yourself.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

These are the pictures taken,

Woman In Park - Portrait 2
Woman In Park - Portrait 1

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

Know a young photographer who can walk up to virtually any pretty young woman he sees and within a few minutes talk her into posing for him. 

It's a gift. He's a real charmer, and a good looking young man. 

That helps.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Approaching strangers can be difficult but, like anything else, it can be mastered with a little practice. here's my tips:

1) Start with couples. They are easier to approach and there's a level of safety when your dealing with a group. After a pic or two together, separate them into individuals if there's a level of comfort.

2) Be extremely polite like you were approaching a head of state or famous actor

3) Always briefly explain what the shot is for and where it will be used... and offer free copies.

4) Hand them a business card ($10 worth of business cards can get you introductions, back-stage passes, media access, and a "get out of jail free" card. Seriously. Best $10 you'll spend in photography!!)

5) A little flattery will go a long way. A lot will end in a restraining order.

6) Be prepared for a wide variety of reactions. Most of the time you'll get a few snaps, a few times you'll be treated like a panhandler, but sometimes the person will be very into it. Go with the flow. Be chatty. Ask them if they mind if you take a few more shots. Let them set the pace.

7) Confidence. Boldly walk up and introduce yourself like you've done this a million times. People will read your body language long before they hear your words.

8) Thank them at the end. Make sure you explain where they can see your shots, how long it will take for the shot to be posted, and how they can get a hold of you (business cards!!!)

9) Immediately find someone else to work with.

10) Dress the part. Prepare as if you were going on a job interview. Nicer cloths, good hygiene, positive attitude. Besides the business cards I also have a few nice polo's with our "iris" logo and web address printed on them. Gives the appearance that you're truly a pro artist not just some dude with a camera. It will also help you psychologically when you're wearing your "business casual" uniform with matching business cards (Yes, I mentioned business cards 4 times... they are THAT useful!) and that confidence will be easily read by your potential subject.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
5) A little flattery will go a long way. A lot will end in a restraining order.

:lol:

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Know a young photographer who can walk up to virtually any pretty young woman he sees and within a few minutes talk her into posing for him. 

It's a gift. He's a real charmer, and a good looking young man. 

That helps.

Sounds like Oleg. :D

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Reminds me of that joke. (Or a variation of it).

"Do you have any naked pictures of yourself?"

"No!"

"Would you like some?"

:D

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
I saw the perfect shot today, I would have called it "reflection" or "sorrow" or "alone" or some such. It would have been B&W.

The lake, the trees, the woman looking out. I could have just taken it, she probably wouldn't have even known. I didn't take it. I considered approaching her, but there was a lot going on, my family had gone on ahead, other people were about, and maybe, if she knew her photo was being taken, it wouldn't have looked the same.

I mentally kicked myself for an hour or so, even looked across on the way back to see if she was still there.

Sorting the shots tonight, the same woman was in four other shots, none of which were any good.

I wish I had asked, or just taken it.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I'll have to amend my list...

11) Ask or shoot before the moment is gone  :)

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Sounds like Oleg. :D

Yup. 

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Any guidance on publishing or using photographs of people you have not asked permission to take their picture? Has anyone experienced negative experiences as a result of someone complaining after a photo has been published?

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Any guidance on publishing or using photographs of people you have not asked permission to take their picture? Has anyone experienced negative experiences as a result of someone complaining after a photo has been published?

Published? 1 word... DON'T. Get a model release if there's even a chance of the photo hitting print or being used in anything online other than your personal portfolio.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I agree with Afterimage...get a model release and carry some with you just in case...About the only thing that can avoid that is really news photography or what might be an incidental shot when shooting something else.  For example if you shot a photo of something in a parade and it was published, you wouldn't have to have releases from everyone on the other side of the street.  However, if you shot a photo of an individual at that parade and it was published, it would be a good idea to have the release.  Hope that makes sense. 

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I agree with Afterimage...get a model release and carry some with you just in case...About the only thing that can avoid that is really news photography or what might be an incidental shot when shooting something else.  For example if you shot a photo of something in a parade and it was published, you wouldn't have to have releases from everyone on the other side of the street.  However, if you shot a photo of an individual at that parade and it was published, it would be a good idea to have the release.  Hope that makes sense. 

Thanks all for your views on this. I've now downloaded a model release form and will print a few off and keep in my camera bag.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Very helpful comments and I will also look to get hold of some model release forms.

ChristyLynn

ChristyLynn

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag

If you have an ipad there a lots of apps for model releases.  Great way to always have them on hand.  You can email them a copy also.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Branded polos, a baseball cap and business cards will cost you $30 max. 

I use Queensboro ( http://www.queensbor...ef/UQUUSQNEORRMfor apparel and recommend them highly. They run specials frequently where you can upload your logo and get a polo for $1. Add in business cards for $10 and you'll have the basics to introduce yourself, get in places you normally couldn't and, occasionally, out of trouble. I can't count the number of times just having a branded shirt, hat and business card got me in great places.

Here's a sample of the polo and hats I picked up from Queensboro. The camo brim was a mistake but I kinda liked it and wore it for few months. I now have a straight black one as a replacement.

DSC00462.JPG

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

CristyLynn,

Which model release apps have you tried and how do you like them?

I really should get some polos - maybe next spring...already have the hats / business cards and did up some t-shirts as well.  Tomorrow I pick up a logo'd pullover (similar to those you see golfers wear).  That will get seen more than anything as it is pretty well wind proof and I can put a few layers under if needed.  Unfortunately it is getting to be that time of year...

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Easy Release is the best, but also the priciest at $9.99. There's also some in app customization within Easy Release costing a few bucks more. I've never tried the extra features.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: street photography, portrait