Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S VS AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G ED

z6 z7

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

emergo

emergo

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDenver, CO

I know it's pointless to speculate on a lens that has not yet been released, but I'm trying to get an idea of whether it is reasonable (when pre-ordering the Z6), to consider the existing AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G ED instead of the native NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S.

They seem to be very similar in most respects - both have 11 elements, although in differing number of groups, and the Z has 9 blades instead of 7 (which should make the out of focus backgrounds more pleasing), but they aren't really that different on paper, besides the price.

Physically, according to my calculations, the length of the AF-S 35 plus the FTZ adapter will be 102mm, or 4 inches, where the Z 35 alone is at 86mm, or 3.4 inches.

In many ways, the performance should be very similar between these lenses, however, is it really worth an additional $320 for the Z versus the AF-S?  Am I missing something?  What haven't I considered?

(note:  I do not currently own a Nikon DSLR, and while I do own Nikon film bodies, I don't use them any longer, so using the lens across systems isn't a consideration).  thanks for your thoughts.