Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Camera Clubs - What do you look for?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

I have discovered that there are two camera clubs in the local area, one in the town where I live and another small town not far away. Do many of you attend club meetings and what do you look for when you attend meetings and if you can think that back far back, what you were looking for as a beginer and what you look for now? Is it just about competitions or listening to speakers?

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

I was a member of such club. I was looking for studying, any studying, even studying on somebodys example. After few meetings I was disappointed. They didn't discuss technics or methods that they used to get this photo, they didn't dscuss composition and lighting, they just showed their  shots and spoke about where it was taken, how did they spend a weekend, about their plans. It was interesting, but it wasn' that what I was looking for, so I left this club.

What about your questions I think that good club should include everything: studying, competitions inside the club, competitions with other clubs, other competitions, of course discussion of photos (made by club-members and other people).

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks for the feedback Stas, you have highlighted a number of questions that I can ask before visiting a club.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Tony - I think you've found a great Camera Club right here!  And it is significantly more convenient than having to travel to meetings at a specific place and time!

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Tony - I think you've found a great Camera Club right here!  And it is significantly more convenient than having to travel to meetings at a specific place and time!

Agreed.  I really did want to join my local club, but the meeting times wouldn't work out for me -- too close to when work ends.  It would be nice to meet "real life" enthusiasts, but I'm really liking the feel from this group.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Actually think you hit the nail on the head. I have been so impressed by how friendly and helpful many people have been, sharing tips/experience and answering what to some must be really basic questions.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Actually think you hit the nail on the head. I have been so impressed by how friendly and helpful many people have been, sharing tips/experience and answering what to some must be really basic questions.

Best photo club I've found!

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Yes, this sight is really good, but I don't believe that internet can replace the real conversation. It's cool if members of this forun could bring together)

Gordo

Gordo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Country Flag

Yes, this sight is really good, but I don't believe that internet can replace the real conversation. It's cool if members of this forun could bring together)

I so much agree with this.  I have more fun and learn things better when I can interact with real live people.  Maybe, as membership grows, there will be enough people we can get local get-to-gethers in some locations.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you're saying.  I think it would be great if this group gets to the point where we can have some get-togethers.  Any kind of local club gives you something different than an online "club."  But for photography discussion and information, I doubt a local club will be able to provide the variety of experience and information that an international forum can provide.  

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

I agree with all you guys this site is a great resource for learning and sharing tips tricks and general chit chat, I have also been looking around for local camera/photography clubs in this area but all to no avail so far. :( never mind will keep looking, I hope I can find one that doesn't just do show and tell like my four year old at school! It would be nice to find a club that not only share their photos, but also there techniques and how they got them. Fingers crossed.

I would still be very active on this site though as like I said its a great place and I have learnt so much already.... :) :) :) :)

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

You can always do what I did... start one!

It's a lot easier to do it today with Facebook and websites like "Meetup.com". Find a bunch of enthusiasts in your area and host a shoot.

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

That's not a bad idea at all Afterimage! I currently run a page/group on Facebook so I would already have interest in that sense, maybe I'll test the waters and see what happens?! It would be great to join up with some of you guys on this site but a lot are based in the US of A, and I'm stuck here in miserable rainy old GB!

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Exactly... just start hosting shoots. Pick some place easy to get to at first and a subject (B&W, macro, street photography ect.). Start sharing topics and articles on your trip's theme and generate as much interest as possible. It's likely that there will be local people just itching to get out an shoot as a group and will show immediate interest. 

Our group does 4 events per year.... 1 each quarter where we have an open invite. We also tend to do at least 1 "club" trip a month were we don't post an open invite but still take guests along. 

If you need more advise or a "guest article" on your Facebook page to help drum up interest let me know. I'll be glad to help.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks for all the tips and advice. Currently with recently purchasing a new camera, copy of lightroom in addition to magazines, books and strands on this forum I have to read, time is limited. But you have all provided me with useful thoughts to reflect on. Agree that 'face to face' communications and interaction is important, but would suggest that a site like this also offers a great deal.

B Grace

B Grace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Country Flag

I helped start a photography club in my area almost seven years ago now with the main focus being on the artistic side of photography and post-processing.  Over time the group has changed a bit but we're still mostly focused on the image and not the gear.  I think there is a wide variety of opinions on what a club should be.  At first, the pros and advanced amateurs in my club simply wanted to share images and experiences with the understanding they already possessed a good background of knowledge in the technical side of the work plus they were interested in professional networking for building a base of contacts for themselves.  As time has passed we've gained more true amateurs as members who do ask great questions about the technical details behind our shots but this has proven to be a real challenge because there is no one complete answer to any given question.

We do try to discuss camera settings, the results achieved with different selections of camera settings, etc. but our discussions can become bogged down with the variety of questions which can be raised by simply discussing aperture and shutter speed settings.  It's all good discussion but our monthly meetings are just two hours in length.  We do have image critiques during our meetings and we make our best effort in first helping the photographer define what the goal for his/her image was in the first place.  It's very easy for a photographer to ask how to make an image better when we all know the concept of better is beyond being subjective.  Boil it all down and you end up with a lot of work to do to help everyone move forward on their widely varied paths.  When members lose interest in any portion of the club experience they often lose interest in the club completely.

So what kind of camera club is in mind here, what is the mission of the club?  Gear focused or photographic image focused?  Technical aspect interest such as the relative difference in camera lens types and exposure settings, or an artistic interest such as discussing image composition styles and subject matter?  How about the question of how a club progresses over time?  You really can't discuss the basics of aperture settings three or four times every year.  What is the intended arc for meeting agendas?  Some groups are 100% focused on simply sharing images.  What resources are expected of a club such as an online presence or recorded presentations for new members to "catch up" with the group?  And my most important question, what is every member willing to do to keep a club dynamic in nature?  Everyone must participate in leading a club.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Best photo club I've found!

I totally agree. The information on here outstrips any club or magazine I've ever seen.

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

I joined a club for the first time a few weeks ago, and so far the impression is mostly positive. We've had a couple of presentations, a couple of practical/tutorial sessions, and there's a free Photoshop tutorial session starting on another night. There are all sorts of interests and levels amongst the members, and I got 3rd place in one of the competitions :)

I didn't think it would be up my street, but I'm learning from it as well as sharing what I do know with others.

Chris

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I'd like to find a local camera club. I know there is one that meets through our local community college. I might have to look into getting into that.

asokell

asokell

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Country Flag
You got to like them and they got to make you better. Im lucky my club gives me this.