Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Just dropped my camera

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

kcharuso

kcharuso

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
i felt bad/stupid/confused/upset and i just need to tell someone i dont know why. it was a really freak accident like it meant to be.

i was cleaning the gear so the lens was seperated from the body. As i finished the lens, i grabbed the body that was left on the dining table. Just when the camera moved away from the table, the momentum caused the strap to swang backward opposite to the direction of the body. The neck strap somehow got caught by the edge of the table and pulled out off my grip. the body yanked back down stright to the cement and landed head first and bounced several times before it came to rest. so far only visible damages are to the top lcd display and the left metal connectors for the flash. the screen is cracked and the left flash connector is pushed down into the body. the shutter and the focus are functional as well as the build in flash. the camera still function but im not sure whether i should be looking out for some spacific thing that a dropped usually encounters
I will send it to Nikon for a repair today. all comments are welcome.

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

Ouch, hopefully its repairable.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Most unfortunate situation.  I wonder if something like that is covered under your home owners insurance.  Would like to know if it is repairable and what the costs will be.  Best wishes.

TT

TheGlobalCitizen

TheGlobalCitizen

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado

Oof! That is rough! I hope he updates on what happened since contacting Nikon

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Possibly a consequence of me having the biggest paws grabbing a
camera / lens combo ever, I not yet had such an experience (knock
on wood!). 

…just hearing of it is painful enough.  :o

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I’m sure it’ll be repairable - it’s just the cost...

Many years ago (about thirty, actually) I was clambering about on some rocks, on a beach near where I lived, when I slipped and ended up landing heavily, on my backside, on one of said rocks. It was painful but not damaging - except to the Leica M3 in my jacket pocket! It was a sort of hip length jacket and the Leica hit the rock at the same time I did. There was no visible damage but the shutter jammed. Fortunately I had home contents insurance and I sent it back to Leica for repair. It came back with whole new shutter and rangefinder mechanisms. The repair bill was twice what I’d paid for the camera but as my insurance policy was ‘new for old’ their only other option would have been to buy me a new M6 😆