Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

disjointed image files

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Rockpebblar

Rockpebblar

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, I have been using my D7000 for a few years with no problems but the last two times I have uploaded onto my pc and the files have been either corrupt/half of the file and half of another sessions file/half a file and colour distorted half of another file.

The files show up as ok on the camera except for the occasional corrupt file.

I have changed the sd card, any ideas please

Attached Thumbnails

• RDW_1610.JPG
  • RDW_1573.JPG

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

What operating system and how are you downloading them.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I never met such situation… clueless!

Rockpebblar

Rockpebblar

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

I am using windows 7 pro 64 bit, the thumbnails have not been downloaded correctly as the corrupt files are not black!

I have done a factory reset and formatted the sd cards, the pictures seem perfect on the camera when viewed, but on the direct download off the camera to a new folder on pc they appear to have in some circumstances parts of the image taken and parts from photos taken a year ago!!!

I am baffled

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

Are you downloading via a USB cable because these have been known to cause a problem..

Rockpebblar

Rockpebblar

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Mike, yes, a USB lead, but have put sd card into a reader and with the same effect. I am coming to the conclusion that the type of sd card I am using is not the best for purpose so have ordered a new 32gb card to try out.

I have also noticed that the flash keeps on popping up even though it is on auto, could the firmware update I loaded some time ago be a problem?

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Mike, yes, a USB lead, but have put sd card into a reader and with the same effect. I am coming to the conclusion that the type of sd card I am using is not the best for purpose so have ordered a new 32gb card to try out.

I have also noticed that the flash keeps on popping up even though it is on auto, could the firmware update I loaded some time ago be a problem?

No idea about the firmware, if you say the images are ok on the LCD it has to be the transfer.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,527 posts
  • Country Flag
While not excluding that the problem is linked to the storage or transfer, I am wondering if a codec in Windows couldn’t be another reason for the problem.

Therefore two questions:
1) these are NEF files?
2) what software are you using for viewing (have you tried a different software to view the problematic files)?

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,260 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

The only time I have run into this problem (knock on wood) was when an SD card went bad on me. Strangely, the actual RAW images were OK but the jpeg thumbnails were corrupt. Fortunately, I had a good backup. 

--Ron

Rockpebblar

Rockpebblar

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

You hit the nail on the head Ron, I replaced my two resident sd cards with new 32gb ones and after a brief test all seems to be back to normal! it just goes to show that all types of memory can decline with age :)

Thanks for all the support Guys, it given me renewed confidence to go to next years Victory show and get some great battle photos to replace the lost ones from last week!

Thanks

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,260 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I'm glad to know things are back to normal.

There are two things that I never scrimp on (and I'm a well known cheapskate). They are camera batteries and memory cards. And, I don't reuse memory cards. When they fill up they get replaced.

--Ron

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

I don't reuse memory cards. When they fill up they get replaced.

What???

While flash memory does have a limited number of write cycles, it's crazy to replace them after one use. You should expect many thousands of write cycles from even mid-grade SD cards, especially if well cared for.

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

it's crazy to replace them after one use.

My Missus was the same way, in her case she didn't know how to download them and used the cards as storage devices.  All her photos I now have on her computer and backup drives.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
Yeah... SD flash memory is probably one of the last choices you should make for long term storage. Spinning disks are better, and archival quality optical media is probably best.

For me, I keep it on conventional hard drives, with two backups (one of them off site in my safe deposit box).

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,260 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

What???

While flash memory does have a limited number of write cycles, it's crazy to replace them after one use. You should expect many thousands of write cycles from even mid-grade SD cards, especially if well cared for.

Yeah, call it a character flaw on my part. I don't tend to buy massively huge cards to begin with; usually 32GB or so and those cards don't tend to be terribly expensive even for high quality cards. 

When I shot more, I tended to reuse cards more. Nowadays, I shoot a lot less so a single card may stay in my camera for quite awhile before being filled. After every outing I still dump the contents to my HD which gets regularly backed up. But when the card is full, it's replaced. 

So shoot me!  :P

--Ron

Ellinor William

Ellinor William

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Country Flag

NEF unique format consists of the RAW data of an image, along with an instruction set that provides extensive image editing capability not available with other file formats. With a NEF file, the original RAW data of an image is never changed. So it’s a bit more complex to repair than other formats.

You can use a photo repair software like stellar to fix corrupt raw NEF files easily. Check out their blog to know better solutions, Here are the best methods to Repair Corrupt RAW Nikon NEF files