Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikkor 55-200 lens problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

TAC

TAC

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I have been using a D7000 with nikkor 55-200 lens for several years and now have the follwing problem: When using auto-focus, the viewfinder is very dark (not completely black), the lens sounds like it tries to focus, and the shutter won't take the picture. If I switch to manual on both lens and camera, I can focus (mostly guessing because the viewfinder is still dim) and take the picture and the picture comes out normal. When I change to a different lens, again using auto-focus, everything works normally, both lens and camera - even the viewfinder is back to normal until I reattach the 55-200 lens. So I suspect the lens is the problem. I have been able to find other posts online with the same issue, but no one seems to have resolved it. Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able offer. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It sounds like the aperture actuating arm in the lens not hitting the arm in the body. Does the lens seat fully with the usual reassuring click when you mount it on the camera?

TAC

TAC

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Yes, the lens mounts to the camera as it should and I can hear the click. So it sounds like I will have to send the lens in for repair? 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

That seems to be the case :(

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

https://www.adorama....tion_Used-Items

Find out how much it will cost you it may be cheaper to get a good used lens.

catdawg23

catdawg23

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Did you ever figure this out, I am having same issue with 55-300mm dx vr used lens I just got.