Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon Z6 and Z7

mirrorless

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

timw4mail

timw4mail

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

Nikon Unveils the Z Series Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera System | PetaPixel

The most interesting detail is that these cameras are the first Nikons to have sensor-based image stabilization.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

Was all looking really promising until I saw they only have a single memory card.  :mellow: Seriously? That is a massive failure! That has pretty much eliminated many working professionals, especially wedding shooters, that require the safety net of dual cards.

I was wondering if I was going to cancel my orders for a couple A7iii's, but this alone solved that problem.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

Was all looking really promising until I saw they only have a single memory card.  :mellow: Seriously? That is a massive failure! That has pretty much eliminated many working professionals, especially wedding shooters, that require the safety net of dual cards.

Got to be deliberate on Nikon’s part. Perhaps points to a fully professional model after a suitable shakedown period. The D5 successor?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I understand your point about the dual cards...there are other pro level features missing as well.  To be honest, they also left some room at the upper price point (think D5 vs. D850) for a future mirrorless "pro" body.  It is going to be awhile before any of these are out in the hands of lots of photographers who have or will pre-order.  Then it will take some time to find any potential issues...so I figure I have plenty of time to wait and read before I have to decide to D850 or Z6 or whatever other options are available by then.  The good news is I can use my existing lenses.  They did publish at least a partial list of Nikon's own gear that is compatible so I know I'm good.  It will be interesting to see how the 3rd party lenses work with the adapter.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

The lack of  dual card slots seems to be the biggest concern for most people looking at this camera. Initially, I felt the same way although, to be honest I don't use the second card slot in my current Nikons enough to call it a deal breaker. And, have you seen the size of that card!?! Adding another slot for that card would not be trivial.

But TBonz is right about some of the other stuff and, frankly, I was really surprised by the price tags. I was expecting them to both be much higher. There is certainly room at the top for a really pro mirrorless camera in this line. Maybe these two cameras are the Nikon equivalent of sticking a toe in the mirrorless waters. 

I just wish these things weren't so damn ugly. LOL

--Ron

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
The secondary card does not have to be the same type. The D850 and D500 use an SD card as a secondary slot.

Other issues are:

330 shot battery life
No eye AF
Supposedly real bad buffer clearance (although unsure about validity of this)

And now to top it off it appears you can't focus in anything less than ideal light...

f60b24f6c480d515c42e9e9fbac40be7.jpg

jchery2

jchery2

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag
It’s seems like there is a lot to work or improve upon, however I cannot seem to hide my excitement of their entrance in this arena.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

The Z6 is supposed to be the more affordable version?  At $2500+ including a lens, that certainly prices it above what the average consumer will pay.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Ron - I agree with you on the card slots...I'd prefer 2 but don't NEED 2...on the other hand, some folks NEED 2...

Battery life is going to be the biggest one for the pros...if buffer can't keep up, that will make it a no go for many PJs as well...

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

This Sony user defends Nikon and he makes sense

https://www.youtube....3&v=QKN68FwOkCM

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I was doing some thinking about this and quite honestly started laughing...I did a good amount of shooting in the 70s and 80s - over 1000 rolls of film...some weddings, some concerts, some sports, and lots of travel...Those cameras didn't have a second roll as a backup and your motor drive / winder was as powerful as your latest purchase of AA batteries.  No biggie because you were changing rolls of film every 36 frames or so vs. the 300+ images with the new batteries.  Yes, I know...times are quite different as is the competition and the video Mike posted was pretty interesting...Just providing a reminder of how far we have come in a short period of time and how if you really want to get down to it, the things we are all mentioning are nice to have, maybe important to have, but not necessarily required for quality photography.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I honestly think people need to unbunch their pantyhose. Folks are getting way, way too perturbed over this camera launch. LOL

As I said it a previous message thread, this is Nikon's first pro, prosumer mirrorless system. And, as Thom Hogan has said many times, Nikon's marketing department is terrible at getting their message out. There is an awful lot of misinformation floating around the internet. And, even when the info is right it's usually half baked.

However, pre-orders seem to be strong. Strong enough that Nikon is already apologizing for not being able to meet initial demand.

Apparently, the cameras that were used to provide those lousy battery results had seriously pre-release software. Even Nikon was shocked by the results and more than a few of the people who were able to use these cameras before the announcement report that battery life was MUCH better than the specs would indicate. 

The card slot... that damn card slot. There seem to be an awful lot of people willing to die on this particular hill. However, putting a second slot in the camera,.... which would for space reasons, probably need to be SD, would drag the entire system speed down to SD levels. Yeah, I understand about wedding photographers. They're paranoid nuts to begin with or else they wouldn't be wedding photographers. Just kidding... ;)

Still, the camera(s) have not yet entered general use. I really think everyone needs to take a valium and calm down. LOL

--Ron

PS: Tom, your reminisces about shooting weddings on film evoked a smile from me. My very limited foray into wedding photography was also done on film using ONE camera with NO motor ... although I did have a backup body stashed in the car. Shooting inside a VERY dark reception room and trying to herd people towards the few pools of light that were available. etc, etc.   LOL

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yep...I think I posted some shots from a wedding on here back in 2016...I think that is the only wedding I have ever shot where I had backup images.  So no, that "issue" won't keep me away from purchasing one of these bodies...quite possible some other may, but that's a good ways down the road after we see how the released models are...won't make any decisions before they are out for real...for awhile...

• Ron likes this

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
On a positive note the video features of the Z6 far outweigh the competition. Full frame, 4k, log and 10 bit recording is only possible on $30k+ cameras (although admittedly they also offer raw). With the addition of a cage and external recorder you have a serious bit of video tech at your hands for about $3k.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

if you have not order or pre order might not get ones since will not have enough to meet demand  

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

Ok aimed at a different customer base but the new Canon rumored has one card slot and no IBIS.

• Ron likes this

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

Got mine

https://c2.staticfli...2303dd178_k.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mirrorless