Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D300S camera and 18-55 AF-P DX lens

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

stevenlee

stevenlee

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Yesterday I purchased a Nikon D300S Camera and at same time through the post came a 18-55 AF-P DX lens. when I tried the two together I couldn't get it to focus or take pictures. I was told that all DX lenses would work with this camera. it seems this lens isn't compatible with my camera so auto focus wont work but surely when I turn my camera to manual focus that would work ? when I do this and turn focusing ring nothing happens it just turns and turns ?? 

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Yesterday I purchased a Nikon D300S Camera and at same time through the post came a 18-55 AF-P DX lens. when I tried the two together I couldn't get it to focus or take pictures. I was told that all DX lenses would work with this camera. it seems this lens isn't compatible with my camera so auto focus wont work but surely when I turn my camera to manual focus that would work ? when I do this and turn focusing ring nothing happens it just turns and turns ?? 

I believe the AF-P lenses are focus-by-wire.  So if the camera isn't providing power to the lens, the focus wouldn't move.  Could be because there was no firmware update to support this lens.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The D300s is compatible with all AF-S DX lenses, but the AF-P lenses are different.

The text below is about the AF-P 70-300VR, but the limited compatibility is the same for all AF-P lenses.

This lens does not support D4-series, D3-series, D2-series, D1-series, D800-series, D700, D300-series, D200, D100, D90, D80, D70-series, D60, D50, D40-series, D7000, D5100, D5000, D3200, D3100 or D3000 digital SLR cameras or film SLR cameras.

When using it with a D5, D750, D610, D600, D5500, D5300, or D3300, be sure the camera firmware has been updated to the latest version.

Adam is right in his explanation of why it won't even focus manually.