Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Problems with my Nikon AF Nikkor 35~105mm 1:3.5~4.5 D Lens.

problems nikon nikkor lens

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

I recently purchased the above referenced lens on the cheap.  Yes, I was aware of the existing problems prior to purchasing.

So, here is what I have.  The auto-focus works only occasionally and not more than one shot.  The Manual Focus is stiff on the second half of the travel range.  It is easier to rotate the Manual focus ring when the lens is not mounted to my D200.  When on the camera, it makes a grinding noise when the Manual Focus Ring is turned.  What is so puzzling is that the lens truly is in pristine condition appearance wise.  The push/pull mechanism ring is also in like new condition.  The glass is in perfect shape, no fungus, oil or haze anywhere.  In Manual Focus, the lens takes wonderful photos.  The only thing that makes any sense is that someone took it apart and messed up when re-assembling the lens.  Once again, there isn't one dent, scratch or surface wear on this lens.  Yes, I did check into getting it repaired and it would be more cost effective to purchase another one say from Amazon.com or even ebay.  When I spoke with the seller he was honest and upfront about everything.  He did say that the lens is damaged, however there is not even a slight indication of any type of physical damage.  Also, the numbering and lettering show no signs of wear at all.  Appearance wise, this unit looks in better shape than some of the new or even newer copies.  Go figure.

Forgot to mention that the lens aperture ring turns with no problems.

Many thanks for any suggestions/solutions.

Tony

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,645 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If I remember correctly, the 35-105 is one of the lenses with Delrin gears in an attempt to make it focus a bit less noisy. If these are dropped on the front, the gears sometimes distort and these distorted gears make the AF erratic.

Remember that you have to set the body to manual focus to focus manually with screw-drive lenses as the drive has to be disengaged. Turning the focus ring with AF engaged can damage the gears in the lens.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I understand what you are saying.  The filter ring is as perfectly round as the day it left the factory, in fact I have a Hoya CPL filter on it and there was no problem in putting it on the lens.  Well, you are correct in that something happened to this poor fellow and I suppose at this juncture how it happened is a moot point.  I could upload a photo of the lens so everyone can see what excellent shape it is in.  The problem is what to do at this point. I could and just may continue to use it in Manual mode for the camera and the lens.  I will go ahead and post an image of the lens.

Many thanks for your assistance.

TT

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

A view to a Nikon AF Nikkor 35~105mm, 1:3.5~4.5 D Lens.  If more photos are needed, please let me know.

Thanks for viewing.

TT

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0026.JPG

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,645 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The damage is nearly always internal with these if they have a problem. Externally, they are among the most resilient Nikkors.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The damage is nearly always internal with these if they have a problem. Externally, they are among the most resilient Nikkors.

Just a follow up here.  I did contact Nikon and surprisingly enough they informed me that Nikon no longer repairs lenses and the best thing for me to do would be to contact my local Camera Sales/Service Center.  They also informed me that they do not have many authorized repair centers now in this country.

Doesn't sound very logical, but that's life.  Thanks again for your assistance.

Tony

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

I did contact Nikon and surprisingly enough they informed me that Nikon no longer repairs lenses... They also informed me that they do not have many authorized repair centers now in this country.

What??????

Who exactly did you call/email/chat that told you this?

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

What??????

Who exactly did you call/email/chat that told you this?

Here is the response I received from Nikon.

Hello Tony, Your support question has been answered by one of our team members. Question details: stiff focus ring Created: 08/20/2018 by Email | Reference #: 02599825 Response from David M.
If your focus ring is stiff and grinding there is something wrong with the mechanism that needs to be evaluated. Nikon no longer repairs this lens and we do not have authorized repair centers for lenses, but I do suggest you contact a local camera  repair center for assistance.

Regards,

David M.
Nikon Tech Support

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,645 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I would think that it is lenses that have been out of production long enough that there are no longer any new spare parts available that Nikon can't repair. That has been the case in Europe for some years now.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

Nikon no longer repairs this lens

LOL... you had me going there for a while. 

crazy.gif

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

LOL... you had me going there for a while. 

crazy.gif

I am not sure I follow.  They clearly indicated that there are no authorized lens repair centers for Nikon.  It seems pretty clear to me.  At any rate I will just go ahead and attempt to live with its limitations.  It does take great photos as long as it is in Manual Mode and of course the camera must be in Manual also.  thanks, Tony

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

They clearly indicated that there are no authorized lens repair centers for Nikon.

I think the reason for this is Nikon's commitment to optical quality. The amount of equipment necessary (and the training of personnel) to restore a lens to original factory specs is substantial... and most likely out of reach of the independent authorized shop.

Panasonic/Leica consider their pro glass irreparable, so out of warranty repairs are not even possible.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: problems, nikon, nikkor, lens