Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon FM2 Sell or keep?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

mattertea

mattertea

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I have my dad's old Nikon FM2 which was barely used and a few old lenses. Near mint condition.  I see that they are going for anywhere from $2-400 online. I was thinking about selling the gear, as I need some cash, but at the same time was wondering if they might appreciate in value if I were to hold onto it for a while.  Just wanted to get some opinions

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180816_185723.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If there is any brassing at all, it will never become a collector's item. Brassing reduces the camera from A or A+ to B to B+ even if it is otherwise mint with low mileage. Even a Mint or Mint- camera will probably not increase in value as time passes as they were made in such large numbers.

mattertea

mattertea

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

If there is any brassing at all, it will never become a collector's item. Brassing reduces the camera from A or A+ to B to B+ even if it is otherwise mint with low mileage. Even a Mint or Mint- camera will probably not increase in value as time passes as they were made in such large numbers.

Examples of brassing? never heard this term before how do i know if there is brassing on my camera?  Sounds like its probably not likely to be collectable

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Brassing is when the brass starts to show through the enamel from wear. As the enamel on the corner in front of the winding lever is relatively thin and the strap touches the camera, there is nearly always some traces of brassing on black metal Nikons.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I think I would keep that camera. It looks very nice and the FM series were among some of Nikon's best film cameras.

--Ron

mattertea

mattertea

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

the thing is i have zero plans on using it. I think film is going to die a slow and painful death and unless there's some kind of technological apocalypse this thing is going to do no more for me than a paperweight... unless its collectable or somehow will appreciate in value if i keep it for another 20 years. Right now ebay sold items has it selling from between 250-350

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I totally understand. I literally have a closet full of old film era gear that I don't part with mainly because it wouldn't be worth my while to sell it. Basically worthless.

And, while film isn't quite dead, it's not doing well at all. Still, just judging by the photo, you should be able to sell this camera and lens and make a few bucks. You have to decide whether it's nostalgic value is greater than it's monetary worth. It was, after all, Dad's camera. 

--Ron 

Astro Baby

Astro Baby

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

There are two views on value- one is film will die and in 20 years time you may not be able to get rolls of film to put in it thereby reducing its value etc etc.  There is however a counter argument that would say Polaroid died out but got revived, Fully Fashioned Silk Stockings made a comeback even though the machinery that made them was broken up, vinyl records are making a comeback.  Its not impossible for someone to make 35mm film (its certainly easier than making Polaroid or the machinery that produced silk stockings).  Given scenario 2 that it doesn't die the number of cameras available to work with will diminish, some will break down, some will be destroyed, some will be broken up for parts -  there will be attrition.  As a result some of these will go up in value (maybe).  It will be a long time though.

The FM2 was a beauty though and doubtless you would find a buyer BUT.....

In a nutshell if it has any sentimental value I would keep it.  Treat it with care, have it serviced, hope it goes up.  I still have my dad old Agfa from 1958.  Almost all of our family photos were taken with it and it still turns out good results.  Not bad for a 60 year old camera.

I sold a lot of gear back in the day when money was tight.  Was I really that desperate for a few $$$ - probably not.  Do I regret selling it - yes and yes and YES ! My inclination would be keep it but only you can make the call.

tonyzoc

tonyzoc

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Country Flag
I would keep it if 1) you have interest in shooting film, or 2) it has sentimental value to you.

Film is making a little comeback right now and I'm seeing older cameras, especially mechanical one, start to increase in value. The mint ones will always appeal to collectors, but even the clean working versions are getting more $ these days. Will it continue to rise or is this just a fad? Who knows... I don't see the day when the value of a FM or FM2 ever drops to what some electronic/plastic camera have. My 2 cents...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk