Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Discussion on Tamron lenses, AF performance, and Tap-in

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

rsonedecker

rsonedecker

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Recently purchased a few Tamron lenses for my d7200 - 24-70mm G2, 70-200mm G2, and 100-400mm. All Tap-in compatible (thank goodness, as you'll see).

Initially I was a bit disappointed when I field tested these at certain focal lengths. It seemed I was producing really sharp images at certain distances and focal lengths, and not at others, and could tell the lens was not focusing properly in same cases. First thought perhaps it was VC acting up, so tested them tripod mounted – Same results. I read some reviews of the recent lens offerings and noticed other people complain about focus calibration issues, so I decided to calibrate them.

The 24-70mm G2 was a bit all over the place in regards to back-focused in certain cases and front-focused in others. Spent a day working on it (granted it was my first time using the Tap-in), but I eventually got it dialed in. Took it outside and a quick field test proved it was super sharp now, and consistent across the range!

The 100-400mm was pretty easy and pretty good out-of-the-box, but I noticed a slight tendency to front-focus as it zoomed. Within 1 hour I had the lens set absolutely perfect at 4.9 feet and 11 feet (the two Tap-in configuration distances). I also noticed that the lens hit perfect focus consistently.

The 70-200mm G2 was a whole ‘nother issue. It was horribly back-focused at 135mm, and I mean REALLY bad at 5 meters (“mid” distance adjustment point in the Tap-in); visually I could see that it was a good foot back-focused at 5 meters! – I had to use the body’s AF fine tune to go -5, and went -20 (+-20 is max in the Tap-in config), which made me have to go back and redo all the other config points I had done up to that point after making the adjustment in body fine tune. At 70mm, 100mm, and 200mm though, it was FRONT(!) focusing (but not super bad). Basically, though I don’t have the numbers in front of me, the 70mm, 100mm, and 200mm lengths are now set to around +10 to +15, while the 135mm focal length is set to -20. I also noted that at this 135mm and especially out past 10 feet, the AF hunts much more than the other focal lengths AND many times it still hits front- or back-focus pretty bad (several inches either way); but I feel that I’ve found and calibrated what the “average” is for that focal length.

So I saved the configuration on the 70-200mm G2, and reset the lens back to “factory” – did a field test and sure as can be, as I move from 100 to 200mm, this lens loses focus performance big time until I get back toward 200mm, at which time it comes back again. So I plugged the lens back in to the Tap-in and applied the configuration I had saved, and then repeated the field test. SOOO much better – but again I am noting that the 135mm-150mm focal range seems to be “difficult” for this lens.

I’m looking for any thoughts or opinions in my experience here – is this normal for the 70-200mm (as I have not seen anyone complain specifically about what I found), and do I potentially have bad glass in this one?

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

I don't have any experience with the lenses you have or the TAP. I have the 16-300mm Tamron. I wish it was Tap compatible, at least you were able to adjust your lenses. 

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

I have Tamron 15-30mm VC, 24-70mm VC, 70-200mm (VC and G2) and 85mm VC lenses. Whilst they all need some adjustment (as every lens does) I have not experienced the level of problems you are. I have just used the in-camera adjustments and Reikan FoCal software and all my lenses focus just fine. 

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

do all third party lens need to be calibrated to camera or some of them. i have 150-600 first gen 150-600mm love it. 

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

do all third party lens need to be calibrated to camera or some of them. i have 150-600 first gen 150-600mm love it.

From my experience all lenses, regardless of what name is written on the side, require it to some degree.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

From my experience all lenses, regardless of what name is written on the side, require it to some degree.

then that could solve his issue. also he could got one little off. since talk to guy that photographer for world series of surfing. person that live next to him all lens are hand built you could got one that boxed before doing full check up. you could try 3 different 100-400 tamron each one will act some little different from other one. i would get what i do they need to be calibrated 

GrennyDar

GrennyDar

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
dcbear78, How many times did you run Focal over the 24-70mm G2, I have read that

"performing focus shift adjustments on Tamron lenses can be very time consuming, the other thing that happens is if you input a too high a number to bring a distance correct it can influence the focus curve and alter the other results this is one reason why you have to go back and forth and check. Prime lenses are a lot easier to adjust but zooms more difficult and time consuming."

Did you have this problem.

Glen