Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help Identifying This Lens

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

npn

npn

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, a newbie here.  I'm looking to get my daughter started with core photography i.e. film, manual lenses and then digital so I found this camera on craigslist.  The camera is Nikon N90, but the lens look older and not original... if that camera came with lens. 

I'd appreciate it if you can identify the lens for me:

fcd2ab1b1283438bb1c36db8d0fcbeb2.jpg

TIA

Nikki

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

Can't really read the lens information the way you have it there, but its a Tamron Brand and no that does not come stock. Stock lens would be a Nikon Lens.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The kit lens for the N(F)90s(X) was usually either the 28-85, 35-105 or the 35-135, all f/3.5-4.5. Some shops sold them bundled with the 35-70/2.8 as well.

A two-lens kit would make using an AF film body much more enjoyable. Film-era superzooms were not stellar, with the exception of the Canon 35-350 and 28-300 L lenses that cost as much as a used car...

An F80 or F85 would be a better start if the goal is a modern DSLR as they can control both shutter and aperture from the body, just like modern bodies. The aperture ring we oldtimers take for granted won't help in the learning process for someone learning from scratch today.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Camera would have come body only or with a Nikon lens although I guess it is possible that a retailer paired the two.  The lens looks like it is a 28-135.  It is definitely a Tamron lens - written on the cap and on the lens body after the 1A filter.  If you already have the setup, I am sure it will be a good starting platform to learn on.  If not, I think I'd probably start with an older digital body.  Having the ability to get instant results from testing and / or adapting on the fly can help folks learn.  Of course, there is something to be said for learning to get your settings right or else :)!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Tom, there is one more number on the zoom ring. I think it is a Tamron 28-200 XR.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Could be...I went with the last I could see / read...I do see something further around the ring, but can't tell if it is 200 or some other info

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

did some looking in google and found this out looks like picture too. 

Tamron AF 28-200m f3.8-5.6 Aspherical XR (IF)

so take look at this link to see if matches 

Tamron AF 28-200m f3.8-5.6 Aspherical XR (IF) – MY CAMERA CABINET